How many shoot 45acp +p or 45 Super loads much?

Hello. I've hunted with both CorBon +P 200gr JHP (old style, pre-Gold Dots) and Triton's 185 gr +P as well as handloads approximating the same velocities using Hornady XTP bullets from a Kimber Classic as well as an old Series 70s Colt that has been customized. Best.

.45acp +P's

One thing you might want to consider is the fact that Federal Hydra-shok stuff is +P. It is also the de facto standard most custom shops use when accurizing pistol barrels. It is, across just about every calibre, the most consistently excellent round I have ever come across, and I have yet to have feeding problems. (Even my somewhat picky Desert Eagle .44RemMag likes the .44 variant!)

Another round would be the fantastic stuff from Samson. If you've never heard of it, it's made by IMI, last time I checked. It's as completely flashless as it gets, and is pumped up to +P velocities.

As far as why, I wouldn't use it for game hunting. Although I wouldn't be TOTALLY naked with it around a marauding bear or something of that nature, there are much better calibres for the task (the aforementioned .44RemMag comes to mind rather quickly). But for the purposes of self defense, even the punks in Hollywood would have had a problem standing up to something that heavy and that fast. It might not have killed 'em, but get slapped enough, you start to cringe.

Platform is 1911. Colt or Les Baer or Kimber. 'Nuff said.

I use Federal hydro-shoks with either a Les Baer or Wilson Combat. No I do not hunt with the .45 ACP cartridge. There are far better calibers for hunting. My personal preferences are .45 LC or .44mag.

hello...

i shoot a fair amount of plus p... mostly 185gr corbon... and yes... i hunt with it... but the range is limited... killed a large doe last sunday with the round... about a 25 yard shot... expansion was good... and penetration was around 14 inches... the animal ran about 30 yards and went down... this with a ruger p-97 (4" barrel)... i pick up the meat this afternoon... (grin)

have a good day...

regards... v.

I manufacture a 230g Golden Saber at 970fps, but I don't care to shoot it much. Accurate from my 1911 (Caspian, of course), but I only run a 18.5lb spring, and I feel it's a bit hard on the gun.
My personal carry load is the same bullet at 780fps.

Hunt with something else.

I load +P and +P+ for my personal practice rounds. Just my thing, I like a big "bang" and I like to practice with the recoil I will have to use for my carry ammo.

230gr FMJ at 900fps (+P) and 230gr FMJ at 980fps (+P+).
remington +P nickel brass, Alliant Power pistol (7.8-7.9gr) and remington bulk FMJ. NOTE: these are not reloads.

Anyhow, I shoot it from a HK USP45 fullsize. Shoots nice, handles well and the gun eats it up.

JT

JT: How well does the HK fit your hand? I have looked at these guns a time or two. Have a buddy who tried one but it was just a bit to large or wrong shape to work well for him except with deliberate slow fire.

I use 230grn +P JHP Loads in mk H&K USP Tactical and Kimber Custom Classic. The loads I've used have mostly been from CCI/Speer. Both guns group well with it. I favor 230grn Federal Hydra Shocks in standard pressure loading for home defense. I reserve the +P stuff for camping and outdor activities.

Last month I sent my Kimber to the gunsmith for some custom work as I felt the guns intrinsic accuracy was not up to par with Kimber's reputation. Upon inspection the gunsmith stated that the slide and locking lugs show abnormal wear, which he related to the barrel link being improperly fit. However, I am wondering if some of the wear is due to the number of +P rounds the pistol has seen. The HK which is only 6 months younger than the Kimber shows no such wear.

JJCII

+p

Most of my Gov 1911's really like Hornady Custon
230=+P JHP for hunting. Very acurate any hardly if any more
recoil than hard. It gives good penetration and expansion on close range deer.
Standard 230 Hydra Shok's for defense in .45 ACP.

115+P Cor Bon JHP for defense only.
biggrin3.gif

.45 Super... YEAH!

I have been loading for .45 Super for the past year and a half, and I shoot them extensively in my modified Ruger P90 (heavy Wolff recoil and firing pin spring). My handloads would not be considered "true" .45 Super... they are more like +p+ loadings. In fact, one of my pet loads (230FMJ, 1100 FPS) is a sweet shooter that is not quite .45 Super (230gr., 1150 FPS)loadings. It is accurate as he!! and the velocity standard deviation is always below 5. I use AA#7 and AA#9 for the higher power loads like this one. With the over 600 ft. lbs. on tap, it is a force to be reckoned with in JHP form.

No damage to the pistol yet, and I have probably shot 1000 Super pressure rounds thru it. Ruger pistols are just tough, no question about it.

I do like Hornady XTP bullets. They seem to hold together better at the higher velocities.

I can't wait to get my hands on some 450 SMC brass!

Back