How many rounds through 640?

Bruce Banner

How many rounds can you shoot through the S&W 640 before you run into problems on average? How many rounds have you put through your 640 357mag? .38 Special?

I had a 640 .38+P. I shot it ALOT, mostly with +P reloads. Even took it to a 3-day pistol class (it was the only revolver there, nothing else but Glocks and Sigs) as my primary gun (my back-up was an Airweight 38). Conservatively had 3,000 +P's thru it with ZERO problems and it was still tight and accurate.

Unfortunately, it was destroyed in an accident. I'd bet if you have a .357 640, you'll never wear it out with .38's.

I shoot my M-640 predominantly with full power loads. This is not a plinker, fun gun. It is a for serious defensive gun and I count on it to bring my fat old butt home safely. So every round I shoot is a full power defensive load. Hell, I've even shot some Cor-Bon 200 gr. hunting ammo in it! (That was no fun I assure you.)

I don't keep track of my ammo expendature as much as I probably should, but I would guess that I've run maybe 3,500 to 4,000 rounds through my M-640 with no appreciable wear.

I will go D. Moon even further. Shooting a strict diet of .38 SPL's, your grandson will not wear out a M-640.

Just in case I've not made myself clear, I am a TREMENDOUS fan of the S&W M-640. It is my Always gun.

Doc Hudson

M640 TOUGHNESS

Just before they put these on the market some years back somebody at S&W wondered just how tough they really were. One was pulled out of it's box and 10,000 rounds of +p+ 38 ammo was put through it with nary a problem; smoothed the gun up very nicely. After that and for a while only these guns were marked inside the cylinder opening "TESTED FOR +P+". Mine is so marked and I've shot some preposterous handloads through it. We've used it for R+D and testing here at the plant and it's still going strong. On the day you wear one out you'll probably be near 140 years old; throw it in the trash and go buy a new one. TM

Back