How many rounds should I put in my magazine?

gaseousclay

I've read numerous articles regarding AR magazines and that you shouldn't fill them to max capacity to avoid feeding issues or the magazine not seating perfectly in the mag well. So now I only load my 30 round AR mags with 28 rounds.

Does this same principle hold true with handguns? My S&W m&p 2.0 has a 15+1 capacity. Is it common to load the magazine with 16 rounds with 1 being in the chamber? Or do most people load under the specified amount, like 14 or 15 rounds? Can you overload a handgun magazine?

I've always filled them to capacity with a couple exceptions. The first exception was Makarov mags. The springs were so overly strong it was hard to get the 7th round in and foget about the 8th. So I bought a couple more mags and cut the spring down until I could get all 8 in without too much trouble. I left the other 3 alone until we got to the range with it (it's my daughter's gun.) We exclusively used that one mag that trip and later I cut down all the other springs to match. There has been no more trouble filling mags and it's never failed to feed.

The second exception was with Shooting Star 8 round mags for the M1911. I found that if filled all the way to the top with hollow points, the top round tipped down so far as to get the bullet driven back into the case. This didn't happen with standard 7 round GI pattern mags or with FMJ RN bullets. None of the auto handguns I've had or used has had a problem with a full mag.

Tony

Only mags I never have loaded to capacity were the mags for my issued M16 back in '67 while serving in 'Nam. Kept it to 18 rounds....

Load both to capacity.

The thing about ARs (there's a few things, but we don't have to talk about all of them) is that some people have had issues with inserting a fully loaded mag into them with a rd in the chamber. It appears that this can put undue pressure on the mag feed lips or whatever, causing them to crack or deform or something. So I usually put the mag in and them charge the gun, so 29+1, if you get my meaning.

For your M&P you can either load a full mag into the gun with one in the chamber or not. I've got 4 M&Ps (bought my first two as gen 1s, so more than 10 years old) and I store them in the safe without one in the chamber. When I carry them I rack one in the chamber and then put a full mag in them, so 17+1, 15+1, whatever. Been doing this for all my semis since the early '80s, never been a problem, with the exception of a single 1911. Otherwise, won't effect function at all so long as the gun and the mag are in good shape.

Last edited:
With the action open the magazine goes in and locks on its catch without any real effort. With the action closed, the top round in the magazine is pushed down (below its ready to feed position) in order to lock the mag in place.

Not usually a problem but it does take more pressure than with the action open. There is even one design where you cannot insert the magazine with the action closed. (its not common, extra point for correct guess :rolleyes:)

With the magazine fully loaded to capacity, it takes the "hardest push" to get it all the way in and locked with the action closed. Loading down, one round or even two changes the force needed to compress the mag spring resulting in easier insertion to locked.

The thing about ARs (there's a few things, but we don't have to talk about all of them) is that some people have had issues with inserting a fully loaded mag into them with a rd in the chamber. It appears that this can put undue pressure on the mag feed lips or whatever, causing them to crack or deform or something.

The "undue pressure" comes from users (GIs mostly) SLAMMING the aluminum magazines into the gun to get them to lock in with the bolt closed.

A firm steady push until the catch "clicks in" does the job and damages nothing.

The same slamming is done by a lot of pistol users but with most pistol magazines being steel, or a resilient polymer damage potential is much less.

If you want to load your gun to its full +1 capacity, load the magazine full, insert it, chamber a round, (set safety if there is one) remove the mag, put in another round, then insert it into the gun and push until it locks in.

Do run some firing tests, as some guns are picky about things and as others have noted, might run fine fully +1 loaded with one bullet style and not another.

My suggestion, load them full + one in the pipe. If they function reliably then your good. If not, load it down until reliable. I only have one I load down, that’s my Lc9s. I load the mag full and then cycle it to put one in the chamber and leave the mag short one round. It seems weird, but doing it this way it has functioned 100%, where loading a full mag and one in the chamber would occasionally misfeed the second round.

All of my weapons in my sig are one in the chamber and fully loaded mags. Never had an issue with any of them at the range this way.

It really depends on the gun, and the individual magazine. I have SOME AR magazines that work fine fully loaded. Others work best downloaded by at least one. If you have to REALLY work to get the last round in you may be better off without it.

Same with pistol magazines. With some it is difficult to even insert a fully loaded magazine with the slide closed. I might fully load the magazine, insert it with the slide back then close the slide. With THAT individual combo it wouldn't be a good idea to use a fully loaded magazine +1. With others it works fine.

You just have to see what works best with your individual guns and magazines. But if there is any doubt, down load by 1. I'd rather have a gun with 17 rounds that I know will work than one with 18 rounds that might not work.

With the action open the magazine goes in and locks on its catch without any real effort. With the action closed, the top round in the magazine is pushed down (below its ready to feed position) in order to lock the mag in place.

Not usually a problem but it does take more pressure than with the action open. There is even one design where you cannot insert the magazine with the action closed. (its not common, extra point for correct guess :rolleyes:)

With the magazine fully loaded to capacity, it takes the "hardest push" to get it all the way in and locked with the action closed. Loading down, one round or even two changes the force needed to compress the mag spring resulting in easier insertion to locked.

The "undue pressure" comes from users (GIs mostly) SLAMMING the aluminum magazines into the gun to get them to lock in with the bolt closed.

A firm steady push until the catch "clicks in" does the job and damages nothing.

The same slamming is done by a lot of pistol users but with most pistol magazines being steel, or a resilient polymer damage potential is much less.

If you want to load your gun to its full +1 capacity, load the magazine full, insert it, chamber a round, (set safety if there is one) remove the mag, put in another round, then insert it into the gun and push until it locks in.

Do run some firing tests, as some guns are picky about things and as others have noted, might run fine fully +1 loaded with one bullet style and not another.
Ah, that makes sense. Good catch.

On mags that are loaded for extended periods, I down load one round per magazine, two rounds in a 30 round mag. No scientific reason, just me.

For example, my Beretta 92FS is stored loaded (only I can gain access to it) with a 17 round mag, but with only 16 rounds in the mag, one in the chamber. My AK is not loaded, but has a 30 round mag next to it with 28 rounds in it.

I usually down load by 1 round but it's not because I believe the magazine's spring can't handle it. It's just harder to insert the magazine with the slide close. It really depends on the gun, however.

If your mags don't feed from a full load you need better mags.
And as far as the springs are concerned. You don't jack your car up to take the load off of the springs when you park it, do you? So why would you not load your mags to the max, the springs are made to handle it.

I load as many as I think I'll need based on where I'm going. ;)
Around the house or in a "good" area 5-6 rounds should be plenty, magic 8 ball confirmed. :p
If going where the "anticipated threat" :rolleyes: is higher, then I load up all 15 + 1 and carry a spare mag.

Thats humor ^ :D
A magazine spring for Glock is about $7 from Wolff Gunsprings.
I load magazines to full capacity + 1 in chamber, better to have more rounds available than less (even if we don't hopefully need them).

"...feeding issues...magazine not seating perfectly in the mag well..." That has nothing to do with the mag capacity. If the mag does not work properly when full, it's defective.
"...harder to insert the magazine..." That's a defect too.
Mag springs do not lose temper from being compressed.

Last edited:
Unless the mag is not "reloadable" when filled to capacity - won't lock in the well easily with the slide/bolt forward - I stoke it full.
I've had a few "+" capacity mags that must be downloaded one round to seat in the gun.

Back