How many of you practice taking and making the first shot cold?

LASur5r

How many of you practice making your first shot cold? And hit consistently?

Whenever I get to the range, I make sure that the owner or rangemaster knows that I will be taking the first few shots drawing from the holster and that I have their permission.

Usually I do this when I get there just when they open.

I set up the paper target and just draw and fire one round. Put the hammer down, safety on, and holster the gun. Then draw and fire. Repeat.

I'm figuring the odds of a situation going down where I have to just draw and fire is in the realm of reality for me.

Anybody else do this? Or do you have a helpful suggestion?

I do this in IDPA and practice draws/shoots with the timer at the range when no one else is there.

I do it evertime I go to the range, and I do it with my chosen carry ammo.
At around 5-7 yards, I draw from my standard IWB CCW rig, and shoot a 4-5 shots COM and 1-2 head shots on a IPSC silhouette, tac-reload from my standard spare mag holder.
This way I test my full carry selection every time I go to the range, from my choice of ammo, to my holster and clothing selections.
It also gives me an idea of what kind of shooting i'm capable of "on demand".

Yup.

pax

And the little girl had approached the bed no nearer than thirty feet when she pulled out a pistol and shot the wolf dead; for even in a cap and nightgown a wolf looks no more like your grandmother than Calvin Coolidge looks like the Metro-Goldwyn lion. Moral: Little girls are not so easy to fool nowadays as they used to be. -- James Thurber in Fables for Our Time

At least 75% of my practice with my carry gun is done by drawing and engaging the targets. This is done with only 2-3 rounds in the magazine to allow practice in changing magazines. When shooting with a buddy, we load each others magazines so we don't know how many rounds are available and we randomly insert dummy rounds to simulate malfunctions. Even have some POS generic Glock magazines that we slide in on each other to provide even more simulated malfuntions (I guess technically, these are "real" malfunctions). We also set up the gun for the other shooter, which sometimes includes racking the slide but not chambering the first round. Really a strange feeling when you draw, aim and fire only to hear "click."

GOTTA practice from leather! That's the point of CCW. I practice singles, double taps, two targets and so on. Not as fancy as IDPA, but the same idea. I'm lucky that there's a unmoderated range in the Ocala National Forest where you can do stuff like this.

Always and made DX with a 2 inch Smith 60

When I started my career in Law enforcement I decided I wanted to be able to shoot so well that I could shoot a Perp (holding a hostage around their neck while standing behind them) in the head.

I practiced so much that I shot on a standard police range where they had three bulls up for untimed, timed and rapid fire and I earned my DX badge with a Smith Model 60 Stainless Steel doing the whole course rapid fire instinctively.

Oddly enough, my first two-three shots (cold) from the belt or pocket holster usually are very good, and then it usually just goes downhill from there.

I don't belong to a range, but I do have access to my parents 40 acre farm, which is only 45min away. Set up a target in the field, and practice away!

I try to do the draw and fire, Doubletap + 1, and the old rapid fire. Still trying to master them, I'm still on my first pistol, and I got it in 40 S&W, so getting back on target with the recoil is what im trying to get used to.

Back