How many mags do I need for IPSC?

micksis86

I'm starting to shoot IPSC at the beginning of the year in production class.
I'm wondering how many mags I will need for competitions?

Not neccessarily how many I should have but how many is the minimum I can get away with for the time being and still be competitive.

mag count won't make you competitive

4 minimum (can anyone lend you some?)
Six is better.

I don't know why I'm buttin' in here; Production is the only Division I don't compete in.....

Production division mandates starting with 10 rounds in the mag, so it takes a minimum of 4 mags to shoot the 32 round max per stage. One or 2 spares is good, in case you drop one or want to reload before slide lock or have a malfunction.

If your mags hold more than 10 (15 or 17 or whatever) then you can start shooting in Limited and load the mags up, so it does not take as many mags.

ETA: You said IPSC, I assume USPSA here in the USA. IPSC is 15 rounds max for Production.

Lee

Last edited:
As was said above, 4 is needed but 5 would be better. Sometimes 6 is a good number but that is usually only when there is a lot of steel in a stage.

I'd say five are needed. I shot Limited 10 for eight or nine years, always with four mags on the belt. That fourth mag was used many, many times. Yet another mag, used for the initial +1 load, and as a last-resort reload, has come in handy on plenty of occasions, too.

Back