How many loads do you load for a given gun?

robinny

I'm wondering if most folks load multiple loads for one gun, say a varmint load, a plinking load and a load for larger game? Or do they have more than one gun in the same caliber and load just one load for the various purposes? I have one .243 bolt gun and am in the process of working up a fourth load for it. I load the Barnes 80 gr TTSX with IMR 4350 for deer, Sierra 75 gr HP with IMR 4350 for trigger practice, Hornady 80 gr FMJ with a reduced load of H4895 for plinking, and am working on a varmint load using Sierra 60 gr HP on top of H4895.

Just curious. It would be great if I could afford four guns.

Yes as many as I can or have brass for. I have small gr weight or cheap bullets for plinking & heavy gr ballistic bullets for hunting.

I think multiple loads are pretty common. Even for target shooting, many use a lower weight, lower-cost bullet for shorter ranges where a lower BC is not a disadvantage because bullet drop and wind haven't become a significant scoring factor yet. In the AR, some of us use 22 rimfire adapters for plinking and trigger practice just to cut the cost of ammunition down, so there you have a really different load.

One, if it's a hunting rifle.

One, for semi-auto pistols which around here are 40s and 45s.

Two, for fixed sight hunting revolvers; eg. 44 Mag Uberti. A 240 XTP/1400 fps hunting load and a 1000 fps 240 SWC load that both shoot to the sights.

A full power JHP or wadcutter load and a plinker for the 38 snub.

Multiples of multiples, for example. In 9mm I have several powders. Power pistol, hp-38, n340, aa#7. I have several bullets. 115g fmj, 115g plated, 124g fmj, 124g plated, 124g hp, 95g lehigh extreme defenders, 115g lehigh extreme penetrators. 125g cast lead. I have tried various combinations of each

For 223, I have cfe 223, benchmark bl-c(2). I have 55g fmj, 55g soft points. 69g match, 75g match, 55g lehigh controlled chaos. I have tried many combinations and will be trying many more

It's always good to have options for training, defense, and hunting. Like a set of golf clubs, the right load for the right job. And in these times of shortages, having a couple options of bullet and powder to do the same job is wise, as you can't always get your first choice.

I'm happy to see this post because over the years I've been handloading, I've reflected on the possibility that I might be crazy. This post confirms that I am not, or part of a larger similar group.

I load 17 different calibers, not counting shotguns. I have a steel cabinet with 30 drawers and 14 of them are relatively full of different bullets that I routinely decide I must experiment with. In .224, I have 8 boxes of various 50-52-53-60-65gr bullets from Sierra, Hornady Nosler and Speer that compete for first place small groups even though long ago I achieved a half-inch group with Sierra 52gr HP Match and killed an unknown number of groung hogs.

On the bench right now are 120gr bullets for my 25-06: Speer Deep Curl; Speer SPTZBT, Sierra HPBT and Hornady HP, all lined up, ready to see who wins with IMR 7828.

I recall when my first child was in a stroller, shopping with Mom, you could routinely see a little arm reaching out for something on the shelf that required Mom to intervene and replace. It must be genetic, because I do the same thing in any gunstore's bullet section as I pass by. But Mom's not there to stop me.

I always make multiple loads... but only ever end up using one of them. I have high ambitions of using one gun for lots of different scenarios...

But when it's time to grab a gun out of the safe, I always tend to just "use the right gun for the job" instead of re-sighting in the same gun a bunch of times for a bunch of different loads. Each gun has 1 primary purpose I use it for, and I basically only end up using them for that purpose. Therefore I never tend to use the "secondary" loads. Ever.

I dunno. That's just me.

At one time, close to 1-1.
Once i found a preferred load, I stuck with it. The first thing I ever loaded (1975) was 4064 with a Sierra 150gr bullet in .30-06. Load the exact load today. Though, I later developed a 180 gr load with 4350.

I load for 15 calibers, the biggest problem arose a few years back, during the first great powder shortage. Some of my favorite powders were not available or discontinued. New powders were realeased. It became a situation of "what can I get that work, instead of what powder do I want."

Still today, center fire rifles are normally 1 load. .30-06 does have plunking, 150 & 180. .30-30 has hunting and plunking. Pistol calibers have several multiples of powders, bullet weights and load levels.

Shotshells are multiples of multiples

Such is the addiction. Regardless of how hard you try, something new will come along or something you wanted will disappear.

I make multiple loads all the while looking for THE ONE............and if I find it for a particular gun, then I load just that one. In my 7mag, it is a Nosler 160 gr partition; in my 7-08, it is a Nosler 140 gr BT; when I had my XP-100 in 7mmBR, it was a Sierra 120 gr

I stick to one loading only, regardless if it is for hunting or target shooting. For me it is a way of keeping things simple. The loads though will be specific for each rifle even though the caliber may be the same, applies to my handguns as well.

For a long time I loaded every possible combination of bullet & powder I could get my hands on, for each gun I had.

While this gave me a lot of options, one thing it also gave me was a near certainty that whatever ammo I chose to shoot would not be what that gun was last sighted in for. :eek::rolleyes:

Then one day, the light bulb finally went off (dimly) and I realized that settling on, and sticking to one load was a rather beneficial thing for most of what shooting I do. Especially with handguns. And most especially with fixed sighted handguns.

I'm not a "one load to rule them all" guy, or at least not with everything. But I've learned that in my situation, for some guns, one load is all I need, or want.

For one example, the only load I've used in .45 Colt for the past 40+ years had been a 250gr bullet (usually SWC) over Unique, loaded to just kissing 1100fps from my Ruger Blackhawk. I've shot many thousands of those over the years, and I know exactly what it does, and at what range. I know exactly how to sight that gun, with that load to hit anything I want to hit out to 200yds without needing to think about it.

My Dad, who didn't handload, only shot one bullet weight and brand from his .357, it was Winchester 158gr "Lubaloy" and he rarely missed even very small targets.

The old saying "Beware the guy with only one gun, he probably knows how to use it!" applies also to the guys who only shoot one load from their gun. They generally know how to use it, and use it well.

Similar to 44 AMP. For my handguns, I've 'settled' on certain powder and bullet combinations. For example bullet wise, in .44 Special and .44 Mag the only bullet I now use is the 240gr SWCs. For .357 it is 158g SWCs, and .45 Colt 250g RNFP or 255g SWC. I've found what shoots well in my guns and have settled on that. I know when I pick up a box of shells, it is going to shoot to POA -- no fiddling if fixed sighted or adjustable. Really the only time I'd deviate on the powders is if favorite is unavailable (not likely for many years in my case) . But since I've done a bunch of testing, I have plenty of fall-backs if it ever came to that.

For my .45 Colt I do have two loads. One general purpose and one for woods SD. But since I don't get out very often, the general purpose load is used most of the time. Oh, then there is Black Powder .. so three loads.

I don't shoot much rifle. My box of .30-30s has lasted me around 15+ years. Still only half used.... '06 hasn't been out for ages. Need to drag out the o' Henry .22 though one of these days.

Last edited:
For a long time I loaded every possible combination of bullet & powder I could get my hands on, for each gun I had.

While this gave me a lot of options, one thing it also gave me was a near certainty that whatever ammo I chose to shoot would not be what that gun was last sighted in for. :eek::rolleyes:

Then one day, the light bulb finally went off (dimly) and I realized that settling on, and sticking to one load was a rather beneficial thing for most of what shooting I do. Especially with handguns. And most especially with fixed sighted handguns.

I'm not a "one load to rule them all" guy, or at least not with everything. But I've learned that in my situation, for some guns, one load is all I need, or want.

For one example, the only load I've used in .45 Colt for the past 40+ years had been a 250gr bullet (usually SWC) over Unique, loaded to just kissing 1100fps from my Ruger Blackhawk. I've shot many thousands of those over the years, and I know exactly what it does, and at what range. I know exactly how to sight that gun, with that load to hit anything I want to hit out to 200yds without needing to think about it.

My Dad, who didn't handload, only shot one bullet weight and brand from his .357, it was Winchester 158gr "Lubaloy" and he rarely missed even very small targets.

The old saying "Beware the guy with only one gun, he probably knows how to use it!" applies also to the guys who only shoot one load from their gun. They generally know how to use it, and use it well.

I can very much understand where your coming from. While i generally like the idea of 1 load per gun its not always possible.

lets say you had 1 rifle, an AR type. You need to use it for defensive use, training, deer hunting, varmint hunting, and say you want to take it on a hog hunt. yes that is definitely stretching the cartridge, but its feasible.

With good bullet selection, say a 62g speer gold dot, you could feasibly use that load for deer and defense and match a FMJ for training to that load. however you would need a separate load for varmints, as well a boar hunting. that gives you 4 loads for 1 rifle minimum. Kept zeroed for your deer/defensive/training load, and re-zeroed when hunting varmints, or boar.

In the case of a defensive handgun, I prefer to carry factory ammo and match a reload to it for training. With happens when you cant get your preferred bullets and you have to switch like with the shortages. and say you can only buy 100rnd boxes instead of 1000. now you have a couple boxes of berrys plated, a couple boxes of hornady, a couple boxes of sierra. all 124g for 9mm.

Lets look at your 45 colt. what happens if you go to buy some unique and there is none? I had this happen when getting back into 9mm. I settled on power pistol, then could not get any for 6 months. and had to use other powders. I still cant get varget for my 30-06....

For the newer loader, or the loader that did not have the foresight, or simply was not able to stockpile a few years, or a lifetime supply of their preferred powder, bullets, and primers, they will be jumping around to make do with what they can find.

for 9mm, I have tried many combinations. I have loads worked up for 115 and 125g fmj bullets with 4 different powders, 8 loads total that will all get the job done. I have my preferred load. but if for some reason what I need is out of stock, and I cant get what I need, I can get the next best thing. thankfully I have a few years worth of my preferred powder now, but I got lucky and had the funds to buy it.

Last edited:
I tend to go for high round count cartridges so I usually end up with several using different powders and bullets. My exception was a 6CM where I only worked up one, because that cartridge was a notorious barrel burner. Sure enough after 1250 rounds the barrel was toast. But damn if it wasn't a tackdriver for that 1200 rounds

I tend to go for high round count cartridges so I usually end up with several using different powders and bullets. My exception was a 6CM where I only worked up one, because that cartridge was a notorious barrel burner. Sure enough after 1250 rounds the barrel was toast. But damn if it wasn't a tackdriver for that 1200 rounds
wow. I know its kind of off topic but I have to ask. how did you determine the barrel was toast. Did the groups open up too much? What make and model, or what barrel did you have on it?

Typically, I’m trying to bring a set of components into tune. Once in tune, I load them all for use. Sometimes I get far enough ahead to do this twice for a gun….it is rare.

lets say you had 1 rifle, an AR type. You need to use it for defensive use, training, deer hunting, varmint hunting, and say you want to take it on a hog hunt...

Ok, but lets also say that I don't have just one rifle, I have a couple dozen in calibers ranging from .22 Hornet to .458 Win mag. Kinda gives one ...options...:rolleyes:

Lets look at your 45 colt. what happens if you go to buy some unique and there is none?

Same thing as when the store is out of my favorite hot link sausage, I eat something else. (Assuming I'm all out of my stock at home...)

I spent decades buying more components than I used, and I still have more than sufficient stocks for the foreseeable future. What I never expected to need a lifetime backup supply of was toiletpaper! :rolleyes:

The only real effect the ammo/component shortage has had on me is to make me very reluctant to use what I have stashed, because I cannot afford to replace it at today's prices, assuming its even there to be had.

If I need it I've got it already and enough to cover my regular use for a long time. I have a degree of sympathy for those who are just now starting out, they missed "the golden years" and I doubt we'll see their like again....

Ok, but lets also say that I don't have just one rifle, I have a couple dozen in calibers ranging from .22 Hornet to .458 Win mag. Kinda gives one ...options...:rolleyes:

Same thing as when the store is out of my favorite hot link sausage, I eat something else. (Assuming I'm all out of my stock at home...)

I spent decades buying more components than I used, and I still have more than sufficient stocks for the foreseeable future. What I never expected to need a lifetime backup supply of was toiletpaper! :rolleyes:

The only real effect the ammo/component shortage has had on me is to make me very reluctant to use what I have stashed, because I cannot afford to replace it at today's prices, assuming its even there to be had.

If I need it I've got it already and enough to cover my regular use for a long time. I have a degree of sympathy for those who are just now starting out, they missed "the golden years" and I doubt we'll see their like again....
Im stocked for the next several years in most areas, working towards that lifetime supply. But there are plenty of people starting out, or who bought shot, and didn't buy more till they almost ran out. And plenty of people on a budget who can only afford or justify 1, do it all rifle. I feel bad for the people getting into shooting and reloading right now. It's hard times. Shoot I stopped reloading 9mm 10yrs ago cause it was cheaper to buy it, but kept going on rifle. Getting back into 9mm has been hard.

Back