How long should brass last?

Shadow9mm

I know this has been asked a lot, I did google and read, but my question is slightly different.

First off, my understanding is there are several things that play a factor, primarily quality of brass, how hot it is loaded, the action type, and sizing type.

For me this means
9mm, mixed range brass, semi auto gun, loaded near max, FL sized
223, mixed range brass, semi auto gun, loaded near max, FL Small base sized
30-06, good quality virgin brass, bolt gun, loaded near max, currently FL sized, considering neck sizing.

The Question!
How long do primer pockets last? I am looking into getting an annealing machine to try to extend brass life. If the primer pockets get loose it will not matter if I can keep the necks going...

Based on my understanding rifle brass will typically last 5 firings before the necks need annealed. I am trying to understand how much more life I can get out of a casing if I can anneal. I would be happy if I could get 10 firings out of 223 brass, brass and 15 or more from the 30-06. But again, if the primer pockets go early there is no point.

Last edited:
IMO, YMMV,

9mm, shoot it till you lose it ,or, if a case or two split, throw the lot out.
I have some 9mm brass that has well over 40 loadings, and still going strong

223 in a semi: for practice/ plinking ammo- I load 5 times then pitch the brass. Target loads with premium brass -'ll pay significantly more attention to and can usually get 5-10 loads before i pitch them.

.30-06 ( or almost any centerfire rifle loads ) in a bolt gun with a decent chamber- I have several batches going on 10 loads and they are still doing just fine. I do not anneal cases, so I'll probably pitch them soon and start over with fresh brass

Handgun brass lasts until it splits or I lose it. Generally I do not have primer pockets get loose w handgun brass because I try not to load at the max, YMMV.

223 for a semiauto I will load 4-5X and toss it. Just not worth the bother to anneal and trim that much brass for me. Most, if not all, of my 223 brass is 1x fired from friends/co-workers so I don't have any $ tied up in it, makes it easier to toss it and walk away.

Brass used in my bolt guns will last at least 5 reloads, usually more.

I don't typically see enlarged primer pockets unless I have fired extremely hot loads that I shouldn't have loaded in the first place...

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

For me 9mm is throw away (or lost) and lots to be picked up so not a clue.

don't shoot 223.

30-06: I have some that is into about cycle 20 and fine. Some looser primer pockets but some of those were pushed to max. Those I just mark (assuming its not totally loose) and pitch when its fired.

For bottleneck, minimum shoulder push back and anneal and it may be good for 30 firings as long as its not hot and opens up the primer picket.

I don't count how many times I reload my pistol brass, like many others I reload until they split. But, I can tell you if you stay under max loads, it will last for quite a few reloads.
Now rifle brass is a little different, (223/5.56 and .308/7.62x51 NATO) I only reload those 5 times each.

You can buy a LOT of brass for the cost of an annealing machine...:rolleyes:
the one I am looking at will probably be around 300-325 to my door. If i am buying peterson or lapua brass for my 30-06, and can double or triple the life, at a little over $100 for 100rnds, if I can double or triple my brass life it will pay for itself in 1 100pc lot batch of brass. If I can double the 223's life, while not a huge savings, it will be a savings

Is the 30-06 a hunting gun or a target gun?
Its a hunting rifle, TC Compass, but I enjoy target shooting with it as well. Should be able to finish working up my hunting load soon, then I will be working up a 175g SMK load. Have access out to 500yds with a bit of a drive.

You can buy a LOT of brass for the cost of an annealing machine...

But you miss the mindset of older guys. We don't throw things away if we can help it (I blame my folks and the impact of the Depression)

But you miss the mindset of older guys.

I am an older guy, and you're missing the other side of that mindset, we don't spend money on a fancy gadget when a hardware store propane torch, a cookie pan and some tap water will do the job.

:D

Well you have to go back to carpenters (the solution is a nail) or plumbers (copper pipe)

As a technician, I am into tech solutions, flamethrowers are so messy and inexact (grin)

I don't have MG patience or detail oriented. Ego, the Annie does the trick.

But you miss the mindset of older guys. We don't throw things away if we can help it (I blame my folks and the impact of the Depression)
My mindset is, its money up front, but indefinite savings down the road. I'm not an older guy, but being in my 30s I have seen several shortages, runs, and price hikes over my few years. I want to make sure I can keep using what I have in the event brass gets too expensive, or scarce.

I also very much identify with the not wanting to waste things that can be salvaged mindset. I save all my bad casings, wrong calibers, and shavings from neck trimming so that I can sell it for scrap some day and it can be re-used.

With the shortage I also am guessing a lot less people are shooting their ammo. If I am right that means in the near future there will be less once fired brass available. If this this the case it will become a lot more expensive and not viable to just buy it, use it a couple times, and toss it. I am buying what I can, but I am also trying to make sure my brass lasts as long as possible.

My attitude of tossing the 223 cases after 4-5 loadings is not necessarily because I find them so plentiful and cheap. I use to anneal them and treat them as nice as I could. And you might stretch that 4-5 loadings to maybe 6-7.. Here's the thing, ARs are not nice to your brass. Ever notice those marks on the neck where the cases bounce off the barrel extension? That is basically a permanent scar on that neck, resizing does not magically remove it. More likely sooner than later your case neck is going to crack, annealed or not, along one of those marks. I'd much prefer to toss them before that happens in my chambers.

I wouldn't worry about it for 30-06 brass. I don't think there will ever be a shortage of it. I could be wrong. And annealing wont help head separation.

I wouldn't worry about it for 30-06 brass. I don't think there will ever be a shortage of it. I could be wrong. And annealing wont help head separation.
Exactly. I would worry more about case head separation *way* before loose primer pockets or neck splits due to work-hardening.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

My loads are nowhere near max. I get at least 20 loads.

Cracks in the neck usually happen first. So I anneal every 5 loads, manually.

Head separation usually happens next. Different ways to deal with that, such as partial length resizing.

Haven't had loose primer pockets yet. I don't load hot.

Most brass is indeed quite cheap to replace. So why bother? Because I like to. To me it is part of the fun.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pistol brass- range pickup & i have no idea how many times i've reloaded any single casing. 9mm or 45 ACP.

Rifle brass- i had 7mm-08AI cases that were full length sized, fireformed, then neck sized only for 30 reloads. I've got about 10 reloads on 257 Roberts brass that started life as 7X57 Mauser brass. Probably 5 reloads on my 280 Rem, 250 Savage, and 284 Win cases so far.

My 223 Rem is for a bolt gun. I've got 6 reloads on them so far. Full length sized when new, then neck sized only.

My 7mm Rem Mag is a different story. Accuracy node is near max load. Full length sized new then collet sized. I get about 5-6 reloads before the primers get loose.

Back