How is the Taurus PT92?

TruthTellers

I use to hate the Beretta 92, I hated that it replaced the 1911, I hated that it was 9mm, I hated it was a heavy chunk of steel.

But as I've gotten older, I've warmed up to the 92 and with all the polymer striker fired pistols I have, I wouldn't mind a DA/SA steel frame pistol and given the 92 was and still is used as a military pistol, I wouldn't mind having one for a low price.

Since Taurus makes one for a low price, it has me intrigued. How are the Taurus 92 clones? Do the Taurus 92's use the same mags as the Beretta does or is it a proprietary Taurus magazine?

I have 2 92's and a 99. They are some of my favorite pistols. Some of the magazines are interchangeable, some are not.

I have had a Taurus PT-99 (adjustable sight version) since about 1988. Thousands of rounds through it, including about 500 reloads consisting of a maximum charge of Blue Dot with 115 grain JHP, 1380 fps, huge orange fireball in low light. I also installed a Wolff spring kit to lighten the DA pull a bit. Never had a failure of any kind. It currently lives at my son's house, because the neighborhood was getting worse and he asked me for a self defense gun. I don't know about magazine interchangeability with Beretta 92. I have accessory mags, one was a Ramline that held 18 rounds, but still flush fit with the grip. I had another 26 round mag that stuck out the bottom a little. If I ever see a bright nickle version for sale I'll get it and put fake ivory or pearl grips on it.

I had a Taurus 92. Would not not feed on hollow points

Only FMj would feed realibly.

Not a good replacement for the beretta

Like 44caliber, I have had a Taurus PT99 since around 1990. It has never given me any problems. It was a wise purchase. I'm pretty sure that the Beretta 92 and its variants (such as my Taurus) pretty much all have steel slides and aluminum frames.

I'm not certain about the Taurus, but since you said you are wanting a steel-framed pistol, be aware that the Beretta, at least, and I suspect the Taurus, has an aluminum frame.

Taurus PT-92's a good to go. Beretta factory tooling, better safety location, stainless option. You can use Beretta springs as well. Not 100% sure on magazine compatibility.

I don't own one so I don't have first hand info, but I used to be a big Taurus fan (note the "used to be") and thus used to follow them a lot online. From what I've seen over the years, most people (especially people who own them) tend to regard them as some of the best guns Taurus makes. You used to see a lot more about them 10 or so years ago than you do now, but I'd be willing to bet that they are going to be as reliable as a Beretta.

That said, if it was my money, I'd get the Beretta. The price difference really isn't that great. When I was in my late 20's and early 30's the $100ish or so difference probably would have had me buying a Taurus PT92. However, I'm old enough that I'd probably save the extra $100 (and if impatient, put it on a credit card) to get the Beretta.

From a practical perspective, they may be pretty close. Fit and finish, the Beretta is going to be night and day nicer. Enough that it is easily worth the price difference. Though, if I was going to use it as a defensive gun I may go with the Taurus. I hate slide mounted old style S&W style safeties, and I prefer them to be frame mounted and work like a 1911 safety (up safe, down fire). So, if I was getting the Beretta for anything other than a range gun, I'd get the 92 G conversion kit so it would be decocker only.

As for the mag, they don't use the same one. While the mag body is the same, the various holes are in different places so you'd need to mod the mags to make them work, and after doing so, I'd only trust them as range mags.

Last edited:
I have a first generation PT99D (small slide serrations, with a de-cocker). The PT99 is the adjustable sight version of the PT99. The rear sight is the only thing which has given me a problem with mine, and the only thing Taurus does not claim to cover...

I like mine, it has always been reliable and a great shooter, probably 1.5 - 2.5K rounds through it with only one issue. The rear sight leaf broke. Taurus had no parts and I was having no luck finding a usable replacement until i found a cut slide parts gun on Gunbroker.

Note that the front sight is not replaceable, depending on your age and eye condition you may find you need to brighten it to get a good sight picture.

I have installed a "D" hammer spring in mine, and a wolf trigger spring for an improved DA trigger pull.

The safety is much better than the Beretta. I just cannot get used to a slide mounted safety. The Taurus safety is not only in the "right spot", but some have a de-cocker function which improves safety for administrative handling.

For the right price I would get a PT92 of either the 1st or 2nd generation. If you don't mind "shiny" the brushed nickle pistols should be all but corrosion proof. Mine has certainly done well.

I have a PT92 FS Taurus I bought about 35 years ago. It is a great gun has always fired everything I feed it whether hollow point or fmj. I love that it is a DA/SA pistol with adjustable sights. I hope I can live long enough to see and shoot it another 35 years.

I always thought the PT92 was by far the best model Taurus ever produced. For some odd reason I could never get similar tight groups out of one, or the Beretta for that matter, as I could the 226 so I never considered buying one. Good pistols though.

Back