How is the Ruger AC556?

Unregistered

I am considering one of these as my first NFA weapon. I have heard Ruger will still do work on this if there is a problem, and I like the idea of that.

Does anyone have any experience or general info on these guns?

Receiver is longer than the Mini-14, so the trigger groups are not interchangeable between the AC556 & Mini-14. Some parts of the trigger group are though.

Get a drum magazine. You'll need it (but be prepared to have Ruger replace the barrel after you burn out the bore).

How many rounds is a barrel good for?

I was under the impression that the AC556 did 3 shot burst in addition to full auto. Is that correct?

Yes, they have semi, 3 rnd burst and full auto. I like them because Ruger will indeed work on them and you can get the ciener .22 kit for them. Also, for the wood is just a nice contrast to all the plastic that is on guns now.

violin-2.jpg

If you are thinking of an ACC556, make sure you get one that made by Ruger, and not a Mini-14 that was later registered and converted by someone else; Ruger will only service factory ACC556s, not conversions (Ruger will be listed as the "manufacturer" on the form 3/4).

Personally, however, I'm not keen on ACC556s as a first NFA gun. Not that they aren't good guns, but they are not as user friendly as other MGs. Parts are not as available as many other MGs, mags are on the pricey side (and can be a little hard to find in the 30rd flavor), and if you're heavy on the trigger, changing barrels when you start burning through them may become a problem. Again, I'm not saying they're bad guns (they're not), but understand they're just not as user friendly and easily serviceable as other MGs in roughly the same price range (for example an AR15/RLL conversion or an Uzi).

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?;)

How long the barrel will last really depends on two things - how hot you get the barrel (how much you shoot in a short period of time) and what your own personal opinion is of when the barrel is done. For example, I have a barrel for my 1919 that is almost a smoothbore. At 100yards (and less), I've seen bulletholes that indicate the bullet slammed into the target sideways. Accuracy? Bah! It'll just barely shoot MOB (Minute of Barn - as measured shooting from inside the barn).:D Still good for making noise and blasting old cars and dirt at a machinegun shoot though...

The hotter you get the barrel, the faster you will wear the rifling with each successive round. Again, consider a beltfed like a 1919; a new barrel might last 30,000 rds (or more) if fired in semiauto and given time to cool between each round. OTOH, you could ruin a new barrel in a few minutes if you linked up 2000 or 3000 rds and put the hammer down until you either ran out of ammo or melted the barrel. If you shoot like most guys (3-4 mags in a couple minutes, and then let the gun cool) the barrel will probably last well past the 10krd mark and possibly as much as 20krds, but you will notice a degredation in accuracy. How much accuracy loss is acceptable before you think the barrel needs replacement is your judgement call.

AC556 info....

I had an AC556 for about 2 years and it never was reliable. I sent it back to ruger and they did an entire facelift with new wood, springs and stainless finish for $170. It did work then after the new springsl, etc.

They returned it to me in a new box and manual. If you get a good deal, jump on it.

Like Shaggy said, make sure you get the factory Ruger, not a conversion.

how was the ruger after they sent it back to you? was the reliability any better, or accuracy?

is this a case of dont get one to begin with or only get a factory original?
.....or sell one if you have one?

is this a case of dont get one to begin with or only get a factory original?
.....or sell one if you have one?

If you're going to get one, you should really try to stick with a factory original one, not a conversion. As I said before, Ruger will only work on factory original ACC556s, so if you get a conversion, you'll have to find someone other than Ruger to work on it. Combined with the scarcity of ACC556 parts out there, getting a conversion gun worked on and repaired could be a problem.

They are good guns, but keep in mind the parts and service issues. I've got several friends who own them and are quite happy with them. But they are all guys who own other MGs also, so when they go to the range their trigger time is spread across a few different MGs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the price was right, but you just have to understand the capabilities and limitations of them. I certainly wouldn't put an ACC556 through the same torture I would with an M16 or a 9mm SMG like an Uzi, where parts are widely available, and can be serviced by even a mechanically inept monkey (...like me). Unlike an M16, if you toast a barrel on the ACC556, its going to be an expensive fix for which you're going to have to send the gun to either Ruger or a competent smith. If I ruin the barrel on an M16, I can buy a new one for about $150 and replace it myself. Just consider your shooting habits and how you'd likely use the gun. If you want something thats more tolerant of the shooter with a heavy trigger finger, I'd recommend something along the lines of an Uzi or possibly a registered lightning link for an AR15 (both in about the same price range as an ACC556).

Ac556

it worked fine....go with it if it's the right price and it's a factory gun....the right price now is $6K or so....

AC 556's work fine.

We have found that ruger was very good about fixing anything that went wrong and they were charging very VERY modest prices compared to other
people.

Sure you can replace your M16 barrel for 150 but it costs you close to 15K to buy one now, and you can buy an AC556 for about 4 to 5 K now. Hmmmm that 300 to have ruger rebarrel it seems pretty cheap now. and I can buy three AC's for less than a M16 and have a spare to play with while i still send one back to the factory.

Bear in mind, If you buy an M16 registered Sear and it goes south, there is not much you can do, the part is the machine gun, a factory AC with the factory service is a great deal.

Where are you finding $4-5K AC556s? :rolleyes:

You can get a RR 16 for $12K, the AC556's for $6K. RLL's are in the $7-8 ballpark, and can be repaired if you manage to break one. If RLL's were up in the $10K area, I'd strongly reccommend the the AC, but as it stands my choice would be the link. However, your personal feeling ( like I love the A team ;) ) will dictate what you'll want.

With respects to longevity, its like any other selective fire weapon. It depends on how much full automatic fire one shoots, cooling periods (if any), ammunition (powder type and bullet), maintenance, and degree of acceptable accuracy.

They are fun....BUT only reliable with Factory Ruger Mags on full auto or burst fire. Weakest point is the bolt...they will break...and Ruger will replace it for free.

Never intended as a machine, just a select fire LE car carbine for when SHTF.

Need to clean gas system to keep it healthy and keep reliability up.

A transferrable FNC select fire would be a better buy.

Back