How is the Remington Versamax tactical shotgun?

ATN082268

How is the Remington Versamax Tactical shotgun? I'd appreciate any insight to it from those who have shot or owned one. My interest in this design will generally be with home defense in mind. Thank you.

The reports on it are very, very good. But, in my opinion it is massive overkill for home defense. You don't need 3-1/2" capability or to spend that much money. Tactical/3 Gun is another matter, and a lot of people do seem to be using those as they come available as opposed to the 1100s. The 1100 is perfectly capable and cheaper, too. You might want to wait a couple of months. The new Remington V3 is on the way, and early reports say it may be the best thing from Big Green since 1963. Uses a similar gas system to the VersaMax, but no spring in the buttstock so more possibilities there. It will be a 3" maximum gun, and they have announced a tactical model.
A brief report. I know the NRA isn't known for the most unbiased reporting, but there are other reports out there from reputable sources too, and they all give it very, very good reviews.
http://www.americanhunter.org/articles/remington-v3-shotgun

Last edited:
To me, its a little over the top for a home defense situation. I do agree with the above post, do you really need a 3 1/2" in a home defense situation? In average room distances, 7 1/2 birdshot 2 3/4" will turn a normal meat tissue into hamburger meat. We aren't talking about a 40-50yd room here, more like 20-30 feet roughly. I would look strongly at the 1100. You can find one of the older synthetic stock versions for 300-400 and add a 18.5" barrel and still be way under the price of the Vmax. I've got 2 1100's, one from the 70's I just got and 1 from 1998 that my dad gave me, only thing I've had to do to both was change out the O-ring seal for the gas system. You can get a pack of 10 o-rings for around 8-12 bucks. I only changed them because of having issues with ejections. 90% of ejection issues for 1100's is damaged o-ring and needs to be cleaned.

I purchased the Rem 870 Express, handles both 2 1/2 and 3 inch, with extended tube for either a 6+1 (3") or 7+1 (2 1/2"). Added a Mesa adjustable stock kit which includes pistol grip plus the Enidine (now called Crosshair) hydraulic recoil piston. Total package price was $650. Doesn't take fancy to stop an intruder....just double 00 and the ability to "point" and pull the trigger!

Listen to Virginian-In-LA. He seems to really know the VersaMax, as well as a host of other things. I was going to say something here in the middle of the night, but knew he would come along and give you the 411. I felt the same about the cost as compared to a 1100, which also comes in a tactical version if that is your thing, and for $500 less.

There are plenty of threads discussing whether you need a "tactical" gun for "home defense" so I will not get into that. That said, my home defense shotgun is the basic 870 Express pump, with an open cylinder 18.5" barrel, standard synthetic stock, 2+ magazine extension, and a weapons light. Knowing what I do now, were I to start from scratch I might skip the mag extension and go with the standard 4+1.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great info. I'll wait a little and see what the V3 will be like. My second choice is a Mossberg 590A1 pump.

Well... the 590A1 made the cut because I used one in the Marines many moons ago. The Versa Max made the cut because it seemed like a reliable semi-auto that could quickly make follow up shots.

If you know the 590 and are comfortable with it, get it. I don't own a 590 but I have owned a couple 500's and they are solid pumps. The beauty of a pump is it doesn't really on a gas system to operate. Just your arm. Its really hard to beat a reliable pump as a HD gun.

Okay. To me reliability is the main issue in an HD firearm. If I thought I really needed a full auto AR I would have one, but I think a pump is more than sufficient. If 3-Gun may be a consideration down the road, then a good semi auto would serve both causes.

Back