How I Came to Own Firearms

othermarc

stdalire and Rich, I felt this was more appropriate here, and the other post was cluttered with *distractions* so I hope you do not mind.

My mother hates guns, and we were not allowed toy guns when growing up. I had to use an old vacuum tube to play "Army" with my other friends. To this day she hates them, all stemming from bad Emergency Room experiences as a nurse some 30 yrs ago. However, she does not actively seek more gun control, and has no issues with myself being a responsible gun owner. I first was introduced to shooting in High School when friends of mine that lived in more rural areas invited me out for "fun." We would grab some .22's or shotguns and go out shooting birds and other small game. Yeah, now I know that's illegal. I stopped doing that at 18, moving on to clay pigeons and other inanimate objects. I think guns being "banned" in my home had a lot to do with me buying my first gun as soon as I legally could. Partly a defiance to my mother, partly a desire to enjoy more shooting. And that is how it was until this past spring. I learned to shoot pistols in a class, and maintained the line of thought that guns were fine for defending the home and for "sporting" purposes only.

Then, about 10 months ago, in a more stable part of my life, a friend intorduced me to his browning Hi-power. That was fun, but more importantly, he introduced me to the concept of defending myself with a pistol. I started the process to get myself a CCW here in CT. I started to actively seek out sites on pistols, and home defense, and my friends would help me with learning about guns used for self defense. But I still only saw them for home defense. It was about that time I started poking around here at TFL, and bought my M1A. I was regularly meeting my friends for shooting and grew anxious for my pistol permit.

Then I came across http://dd-b.net/RKBA/ which is run by Oleg Volk, a man I would enjoy meeting and getting to know (I am unable to get to his site right now, anyone know why it's not up?-Oleg emailed me, the link is correct now) In reading his website I began to realize what the 2nd Amendment is really for. I started paying more attention to the "Legal and Political" section at TFL. I started reading about atrocities taken out on unarmed masses. And it became clear to me. Oddly enough, that is when I received my CCW permit, and that's when I began to carry. It was a weird week for me, going from happy ignorant citizen, to slightly fearful of the gov't citizen. And in the light of recent findings at Waco, I am increasingly worried about more gun control litigation. I have become an activist of sorts, and I have told all my friends of my views in the hopes they will realize the importance of the 2nd Amendment. And I carry nearly everywhere I can, now, and feel naked when I travel outside CT without my trusty Colt Defender. Horrible incidents such as Columbine has taught me that it can happen anywhere, and I best be prepared if it happens near me.

But I would also like add my personal views on gun ownership. I abhor violence. I have never even been in a fistfight in my life. I carry solely for the purpose of using violence in defense of violent attack upon myself or others. The name of my carry weapon says it best; "Defender" I also abhor the use of violence against government, such as actions taken by Timothy McVeigh. A small armed minority can not and should not use violence as a means to react to atrocities done by the government. The sad fact is that the majority of America does not feel they live in a tyranny. All acts of violence are ineffectual, as they create contempt for those attacking the government. Violence can only become effective when the majority feels it is necessary to overthrow the government. Besides, the last I checked, this is still a democracy, so the current gov't can be voted out, if the majority wishes it so. In theory, we could vote to erase all gun control laws in existence. That whole "majority" issue is the problem. The only acceptable action to me is to teach those around you. Tell them what you have found. Show them articles, guide them to the Jews For the Protection of the 2nd Amendment site. Of course, they must make up their own minds, and hopefully it will be the RKBA one. Experiences on the range as reported by orsogato and Patrick Seeber in "The Art of the Rifle" are exactly what each poster on this site should strive for. Take someone to shoot. Educate them. Fight for your right by teaching.

That's the end of my ranting today. G'Night all!

------------------
I hate laws that make me a criminal without me even knowing it.
Connecticut is the "Constitution" State
http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/beefclub

[This message has been edited by othermarc (edited September 08, 1999).]

I always enjoy your posts Othermarc. Thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully as I continue to grow and learn more from TFL and my trainers, I too will be so inspired to share my knowledge.

J

------------------
The whole secret of a successful life is to find out what it is one's destiny to do, and then do it.
HENRY FORD, "Success," Forum, October 1928

Oh, I forgot one thing. Part of why I abhor what I deem as unnecessary use of violence is that as a Christian, I try to follow the teachings of Jesus. But every rule has an exception; you can't turn the other cheek if you have been shot dead by a robber at the ATM.

Bruce and LadydeeJ, thank you for your comments. Care to share why you became shooters?

othermark, I have aways looked at your postings. It is now apparent to me that you have found the true meanings of "violence and self defence" Welcome, it is a heavy burden to carry!
Hank

My interest in law enforcement brought me to shooting. Even if I never wear a badge, I'm learning and learning is the key to success. ;) In my study of LE I have found a whole new world of challenges. Firearms being my first "hump."

Shooting has also been relaxing for me. I especially enjoy my time alone and the beauty of the great outdoors.

Since arriving on TFL, I feel I have learned so much, not just about firearms, but politics, unity and friendship.

And those stupid trivia questions...ERrRrr
:D :D :D
Peace and safety to all.

J

Putting politics aside for a bit...

I'm a farm girl, grew up with guns, saw guns in the barn, in the house, etc. Guns were introduced to me very early and by the time I was 10 or 11 one of my chores was vermin control...shooting ground squirrels, jacks, crows, etc....critters that trashed our crops. This was a daily chore, something I was expected to do to help out the family business. I didn't mind at all, actually I enjoyed it...taught me precision, patience (something I'm still weak in :)), and I took pride in it and in the trust my Dad had in me to do it unsupervised. Once, I was around 12, I had an errant shot and trashed an irrigation manifold. The repair cost was around $200 (parts only). Dad fixed it, then he mapped out a portion of crops that represented the price....then he mapped out more crops that represented the cost of an outside repair person. He didn't yell or punish me nor take it out of my allowance...but that portion of crops was mapped out all summer. Nor did he eliminate that chore duty. I've never forgotten.

We also went hunting, and Dad never went without asking me to come along if I wanted. So, to me, fundementally a gun is a tool...no more and no less than a wrench or a screwdriver or a hammer or a knife. I'm stuck in that mode, honestly....I see no difference, and in my mind, I can't help but see anti-gun rhetoric exactly the same as anti-wrench or anti-screwdriver, etc. I also appreciate the beauty and know the difference of quality tools. To me further regulating guns is like regulating what I can eat or drink. It's an incredulous concept and I ain't gonna play

As for politics, history and tradition...ya'll know where I stand

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

othermarc, I hope you'll let me buy you dinner in AZ someday. We see eye to eye, my friend.

I too have no desire to ever hurt another human being. But, I have come to believe that in a violent encounter you are either part of the solution or part of the problem. If I am ever involved in a deadly encounter, and there is no solution but deadly force to save my life or another innocent party, then I will strive to shoot straight and true for an immediate stop to the threat.

I came to own my first firearm about 25 years ago. I was camping alone in some southern Arizona mountains. It was the middle of the night, and as I slept under the stars I noticed branches breaking near me. As I tried to disappear into my sleeping bag, I fingered my trusty Boy Scout knife. Literally. That was my sole defense. And, I had a chance to really think about what might happen next. I knew that if I encountered deadly force that night I was most likely going to die. Simply because I was not prepared, and had effectively chosen to trust my fate to dumb luck.

Whatever was out there that starry night simply moved on. I wasn't so concerned about a mountain lion or bear. In Arizona there is very little that would likely kill a human being. But, I was certainly worried about another human being, better equipped than I, and possibly bent on violence.

That night I resolved to never again feel so helpless. Shortly thereafter I bought my first handgun. While it was many, many years before I took my RKBA beliefs much further, I never went camping again without that trusty revolver.

Yes, I hope to never use a firearm to defend life against a human or an animal. But, as an ethical, responsible person, father and husband, I firmly believe it is my first responsibility to deal appropriately with violence, if necessary.

othermarc, you stated your case so well. I do my best to do the same with friends, business associates and family. Please check out the Gun Rights Policy Conference in St. Lousis - visit http://www.saf.org/ . I hope to continue my education there. Perhaps you can join us.

Regards from AZ

Why do I have guns ?
Because.... I.... CAN ! :D>
And I'm pretty handy with 'em. ;)

"Sometimes the needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/

[This message has been edited by HS (edited September 09, 1999).]

It has been my experience that most anti-gunner's fear being shot. Thus to make themselves feel safe they want to remove all guns. They don't seem to realize two things. One is this thread. We are all here to defend one another. That the difference between agressive use and defensive use of arms is material. The second thing they don't understand is that those who would use them for agression will always have them. Yes, your comments are the feelings of most gun owners.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

ctdonath, great site. You have sound reasoning.

There is the case of the matyr. Sometimes a matyr does more for his cause than a person that fights and evades...but then again, one is taken out of the gene pool and the other lives. Thin line between matyr and victim. I guess a matyr is more a person that can not help their fate. ie, facing a firing squad makes you a matyr; being stabbed in the stomach by a thief makes you a victim.

othermarc,

My feelings exactly, you hit the nail on the head (or the bullseye)!

Here's my story FWIW: I too, grew up in a house w/o guns. My parents were neither for or against them, the guns just weren't there. I was allowed to play with cap-guns growing up (yes, I was a tomboy...), but that was it. Never had an air rifle, although I begged for one.
I first got truly interested in firearms in high school. A boyfriend of mine showed me his parent's .357 S&W. I thought it was too cool! No, I didn't point it at anyone or pull the trigger, I was a little intimidated by it. From that point, my experience with guns was guys teasing me about wanting to see me shoot their .45's, 12 gauges, and rifles. (if only they could see me now..I love my .45!) I didn't really become educated until I met my future husband, who also posts here. He took me shooting and cultivated that interest in me. We had been dating a few months when I bought my first gun, a Sig P228.
At first, I was only interested in shooting for fun, then he started talking to me about concealed carry, and protecting myself and my family. I had never really thought about using a gun to defend myself, but after an incident occurred in our city where a grown woman was abducted from a mall parking lot, I changed my view. I thought, "If she'd had a gun, maybe...." They never have found her body, BTW.

THEN I found TFL! I have learned so much since I started coming here. I am a "slightly fearful of the govt citizen." I no longer see Uncle Sam thru rose-colored glasses. I am now a proponent of RKBA, and tell my views to everyone I can. I will be taking my CCW class this Saturday, and I can't wait! BTW, Thanks to all y'all who helped educate me thru your posts. (Rich, DC, Dennis, Kodiac(aka George Hill), Coinneach, and many others I can't remember...) You never know when someone is soaking up all you have to say! (reminds me of my kids...)

TTFN

------------------
"...What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?... Fight, and you may die, run and you'll live, at least a while. And dying, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for just one chance, to tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!!!"
-------------------------
je suis prest

HS,

I would say it more like-

"The desires of the few to exercise their rights outweighs the desires of the many to take that right away."

No time to get long winded now, I will come back later and "revise and extend" my remarks. ;)

------------------
"Is fhe'arr teicheadh math na droch fhuireach"
-Sarabian Oomodo

If it isn't Scottish, it's CRAP! RKBA!

A firearm isn't a weapon until it is used as such.

Othermarc:

Why did I become a shooter?

Hmmmmm .... probably originally directly due to my father -- he was a PO QMG in the Australian Navy, and whatever Dad did, I wanted to do. Hero worship, I guess.

I was always interested in guns ... at first, I suppose, it was the usual power thing kids have. I'd see the goodies (Roy Rogers, Audie Murphy) restore "goodness", using a gun to overcome evil.

As I grew up (and more so now), I became a shooter because:

1. I love the self-discipline and precision

2. I appreciate a firearm as a work of art equally as much as a weapon -- the feel of fitted and worked wood and metal, oiled and smooth, is almost sensual (in its uncorrupted meaning of appealing to the senses)

3. Being "allowed" to own a gun was undoubtedly my "rite of passage" from adolescence into manhood; it is a symbol of responsibility

I, too, abhor violence (As they used to say on F-Troop -- "we lovers, not fighters"). I've come very close, but I've never been in a serious fight with another human being -- nor do I want to be.

But I don't expect people to view that as weakness. I will fight -- with anything -- until I am incapable of fighting any more, to protect my family. It is that attitude that has had me labelled a "dinosaur" from a couple of more .... ummmm ... progressive female acquaintances. But, hey, I can stand positive criticism! ;)

I can't say I would use a firearm unhestitatingly in a defence situation, because for all my adult life I have been told that is "wrong", and even though I believe with every fibre that it is, in fact, "right", I would still have to overcome that conditioning. But, being as honest as I possibly can with myself, I think if it came to the "crunch", I would pull the trigger.

B

Back