How hot can Glocks get before they melt?

CSAY

Really,how much heat can they take? Don't get me wrong,I'm not going to leave it on the dash in July,but,I do leave it in the glovebox from time to time. It doesn't look like it would take much warpage to cause some problems. I've had many Glocks over the years and never had that problem,but it
has been my main concern in having a polymer pistol. I guess this is another reason why I can't ditch my 1911's.

One of the guys in my shooting group shoots a G17. He works with numbers, but minored, while in college, in chemistry. I called him and he put it to me like this.

They are not tupperwear. There is nothing that you will do in everyday use that will effect the plastic handle. Short of beating it with a mallet, or throwing it in a fire, it will be around for a while.

Hell, if plastic diapers can last a life time in our landfills, your glock's plastic handle will probably outlast you.;)

From a forensic engineer that did a few tests of his own:

"The Glock frames are actually a proprietary blend of Nylon 6. Melting point is 420 degrees F. Thermal index rating of 284 degrees F (maintains shape and properties up to that point)."

FWIW

If the wood grips on your 1911 start smoldering around the edges, it might be hot enough to cause warpage on the frame of the Glock stored next to it. ;)

I hope my question didn't seem ridiculous. I know it can probably take more abuse than I could ever dish out. It's just that I live in Texas and man,does it get hot out here!
I don't know how many CD's,tapes and 8-tracks I've lost over
the years! Yeah,8-tracks! I know the plastics in these,compared to polymer,are daylight and dark,but it's that psychological need for solid steel. I have owned Glocks
since they came out in the 80's and have never had any problems,whatsoever,with any of them. They just keep going
and going. Huh? Where have I heard that phrase before?

I Know that mags made of the same material will warp if left on the dash on a hot day but they are a lot thinner than a Glock frame. I do not think one will pass the radar range test though, while a steel gun will wreck the microwave if given the zap test.

One thing to think about when comparing your Glock to your 1911 in a hot Texas car...

Ever pick up your pistol after it has been sitting in that hot car for eight hours? A Glock will feel warm. A 1911 will most likely get dropped. ;)

Hot Glocks

And remember that Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic will still be protecting that Glock till it reaches 600 degrees.:-)

I would be worried more about a round cooking off than my weapon melting!

A previous post mentioned that 284 degrees is the point where it starts to lose shape. I should hope that your car gets no where near that temperature in the summer time. If it does, swap your Glock in the glove box for a chicken and save some on your energy bill!

If the heat did concern you enough, you can lower the inside temperature by using those reflective shields that you put on your dashboard- you know- the ones that people always put the side that says "NEED HELP" on the outside.

You could also line keep it in a small pistol rug to further insulate it from the heat.

Good Shooting
RED

radom,

You'll have difficulty doing any significant damage to your microwave just because of the metallic load. The only reason you don't put metal dishes into a microwave is they arc to the sides, which are all metal. Microwaves are designed to have organic substances to absorb the microwaves, so you can damage them empty, or with an all metal load, but the lack of a non-metallic substance to absorb the energy is the reason.

The interior of a dark color, sealed vehicle in full sunlight can reach an ambient air temp in excess of 185 F, and surface temperatures can exceed 210F, in tests conducted in places such as Saudi Arabia.

No wonder dashboards crack !

The melting point of Polyamide resin (Glock frames are about 15% glass fiber and the rest polyamide) is about 450F, but though the material will begin to lose properties about 180 degrees below this... there's plenty of leeway for storage in a car- though NOT on the dash.

When I attended Glock Armorer's School a similar question was asked. The instructor's answer was that two things would distroy a Glock frame. One was a microwave oven an the other was a black Labrador. He didn't elaborate but I bet there was a good story behind the "black Lab" part of his answer.

i don't know how hot i got it but if you want a glock magwell the size of texas--hold it over a red hot burner on stove and experiment shaping it with something like a dinner knife handle. The least expensive mag well you'll ever get. PS..also put a Seattle slug in the hole behind the mag well....Dick

Mac Scott, of SM&A fame used to tell the story of his Lab chewing on a Glock frame, perhaps that's where the story came from. :)

The metal light show in the microwave sure looks bad but its good to know it realy wont hurt the oven then. On the down side a microwave will sure do major ugly damage to the stuff Glock frames are made off. I would think its a nonissue as not many dry there glocks in a microwave I would hope. It does show that the steel will survive in some odd situations that the space age stuff wont though. I wonder what would come off better on the sharp pocket knife destrustion test? I think they are decent guns if you dont use microwaves or pocket knives on them though.:)

400 degrees, Hmmm! Dishwasher safe ? that is what I call easy clean up. Yeah I know, smart ass right?
I have seen a few Army issued M16's and 45's cooked in boiling water after a range session. Of course they were bathed thoroughly in oil afterwards. NCO's caught hell for it too.

I just checked out a buddies Glock.
Damn thing has "Dish washer Safe" and " Microwaveable" molded right in the grip.

Just kidding guys and gals. He thought it was funny after I told him it was a joke. The funniest part was, he must have spent an hour looking for the writing.

According to the Glock 2001 Annual, page 53: "The polymer receiver of the Glock 30 will withstand temperatures as low as -40 F and heat as high as 158 F." I think they are probably talking about temperatures for normal operations.

Back