How hard is .38 +P on a model 19?

JRiggs

Hi,

I just came accross a nice 4 inch S&W Model 19, made in 1984, NIB. Im going to put this revolver to use, but I plan to refrain from using any .357 magnum whatsoever. How would this revolver stand up to steady diets of .38 Special +P. My guess is that it would take it just fine, since it is a .357, but I thought I would get some more educated opinions. Thanks.

It will handle them and live a long happy life doing it.;) I've put thousands of relatively hot .357 rounds through various model 19's over the years with no problems. +P's should work fine.
Good luck, they are a great revolver and you will not regret getting it.:)

Agreed! 38spl+p will be like soft candy to a magnum rated S&W.

Your dash 5 should love em. Might have to adjust the timing after fifty or a hunnert thousand rounds but that is more affected by number and speed of trigger pulls than load strength.

Congrats on grabbin one of the finest handguns made.

Sam...my favorite 9mm is the 9X32R

but I plan to refrain from using any .357 magnum whatsoever.

WHY?

That's like getting a Corvette ZR-1 and only driving it 35 MPH on Sundays while going to church.

The Model 19 is perfectly capable of handling stout .357 Magnum loads.

Will it handle them for as long as a heavier gun, such as the 686 or the 27/28?

No.

Will it instantly shoot loose and develop endshake & cylinder wobble from a single cylinderfull of .357 Mags?

No.

But, on to your base question, the fact that the .38 Spl. +P operates at roughly 1/3 less pressure than the .357 Mag., I'd say you're fine for a long time.

Thanks for all the replies. Since this revolver is out of production, and the fact that it took me so long to find a 4 inch new in the box, I just want to make sure it lasts as long as possible. I just love the looks and handling characteristics of the model 19, even if I dont take advantage of it .357 chambering. This is a great site, I appreciate everyones help.

J. Riggs

If you can afford to shoot enough hot factory .357 rounds to wear out this piece, you are financially well off enough to afford another gun.

shoot often and safely

Jay

I have fired thousands of +P .38 ammo through many K-frame S&W revolvers. Never had a problem.
This is a match made in heaven as far as I'm concerned.

Back