How good is the Gold Cup?

branrot

I'm considering getting one of these, probably a NIB stainless steel version. I'm not planning on doing any further customization to it, and it will be used primarily as a range gun (with some HD and CCW use; I have plenty of other guns for various uses). Anyway, are they that much better than the standard Colt .45's, and how do they compare to the Kimbers, Wilson Combats, Ed Browns, etc.? Should I get one?

Wilson's are better fit, better finished, more accurate, and more reliable than MOST Gold Cups are going to be.

I'd MUCH sooner get a Kimber. Same or a little less money, better fit and finish.

If you bought a Kimber Custom Classic (about $600-650, depending on where you live) and spent the money you'd save on a couple of modifications and upgrades, then you'd end up with a MUCH better pistol, in my opinion.

If you go Gold Cup swap get rid of the finger bushing and get a NM bushing fitted. Also think about what you are going to do about replacing the rear sight. It is going to fall off at some point. Depending on price of a stainless Gold Cup I would certainly check out the guns from Rock River Arms before laying out any money.

I don't know why so many people keep badmouthing the Goldcup or Colt in general. I've had my stainless Series 80 Goldcup for over a year now, fired over 3,000 rounds of various ammo through it and never had a problem. It worked perfectly right out of the box and the rear adjustable sight is still attached. I don't know about the rest of them but the external finish on my Goldcup is immaculate. I did find some rough milling marks on the bottom and inside the slide rails which I smothed out with some fine sand paper. Other then that, the fit and finish is about what you would expect from any American manufactured firearm.

The accuracy and reliability are right on the money. I'm sure you can do better if you are willing to pay more for a decent Kimber or Wilson. But, the question is how much are you willing to pay.

The Gold Cup was the first .45 I had ever shot. Even though I only did 5 rounds, I did alright. Of course, having been bitten by the .45ACP bug, I soon aquired my Glock 30. ;)

COLT'S GOLD CUP...GOOD GUNS, SOMETIMES

My personal Colt GOLD CUP was made in 1962. Over the years I put 55,000 rounds through it without a single malf using two Colt 1911 mags. It would not tolerate aftermarket mags which were mostly junk back in the '70's. It shoots like a million bucks still but I retired it when other 45ACP guns came along and grabbed my attention. The only problem I ever had was breaking the rear sight pin. Must have broken 15 of the damn things over the years. The last one I put in has lasted the longest, a spring steel roll pin that fit tighter than the hinges of hell.
Incidently, of those 55,000 rounds, 5000 or so were jacketed bullets, the rest were cast bullets, the vast majority of which were LYMAN 452460 210gr SWC's over youkneecue powder at 950-975fps.
My KIMBER GOLD MATCH is a better pistol from the gitgo...ah, that's a different post. TM

Terry, you can keep from chasing rear sights by have a smith mill in a low melt Wichita adj sight. Looks like a Bomar but fills in the extra cuts at the rear of a Gold Cup slide better. 15 pins! That is a new record. Never heard of anyone breaking that many before on one gun, but then again most people don't have a pistol with 55,000 rounds through it either.

I used to have 2 Colt MK IV Series 80 .45s. One was the standard stainless enhanced model (used) and the other was a Gold Cup (new) both produced in the early 90s.

The standard model had its barrel "throated" (correct term?)ramp polished, and a trigger job. The Gold Cup I left untouched because I believed I should get my moneys' worth. Well I didn't. I much preferred my standard model that was worked on lightly to the Gold Cup. Flat out it was more accurate and I really hated those flimsy target sights in an indoor range. I think the great reputation of the Gold Cup models were based on pistols produced in the 60's and 70's. Although more current Gold Cup production was moved to Colt's custom shop like the SAA. So maybe Colt finally got a handle on some quality control for its Gold Cups? But unlucky for me I bought it at a bad time. Call it the Ford Mustang of the late 70's and early 80's.

Nevertheless sold them both for Sigs and Glocks and have not looked back since.

[Edited by Ian11 on 02-14-2001 at 05:30 PM]

I don't know why so many people keep badmouthing the Goldcup or Colt in general.

Colt wants too much money for too little performance, IMHO.

Go to a major bullseye (NRA Conventional Pistol) match and see how many of the competitors are shooting Series 80 Gold Cups. You won't find many. The reason is that Colt charges extra for its supposed "target pistol" despite supplying second rate sights, hit-or-miss accuracy (no guarantee), and a needlessly complicated trigger mechanism.

At the National Matches at Camp Perry each summer, all the major vendors of bullseye gear set up shop on Commerical Row to sell to the shooters. Colt doesn't even bother to show up.

As far as the rear sight pin breaking on Gold Cups, I replaced the stock pin on mine with a length of(very hard) stainless steel wire. This was 20 years ago and I still haven't had any trouble but I will admit that I haven't done an excessive amount of shooting with this gun, maybe 5000 rounds.

The other thing that you need to watch for is the front sight shooting loose. It has more mass than the stock 1911 sight and the recoil forces and slide slamming back and forth cause it to work loose. I had a good gunsmith silver solder a new one in place, the stock sight is just peened into a narrow slot, there's no wonder that it loosens up.

Jeffs advice on replacing the finger bushing is good too, a lot of those things have broken and damaged the gun. I just used a stock 1911A1 bushing but you can have a 'smith install a match grade bushing if you need one.

Just my opinion

Don in Ohio

Gold Cup

I have a Series 80 Gold Cup Trophy. Have had it 3 years and have had no problems with it. It is well made and tight, and more accurate than I am.

The local 1911 wizard examined it and approved of the fit and finish. It feels better than the Kimbers and Springfields I have tried.

A satisfied customer:

Geoff Ross

Long Live Colt

Colt has been capitalizing on its good name for too long by overpricing and putting out mediocre products. Complacency is causing the sad slow death of a once legendary name.

But if you don't mind paying a little more you'll still get a solid gun. Competition 1911's have so many expensive custom features it doesn't matter which 1911 you go with as long as good steel was used. Yeah, the name Colt has a certain mystique Kimber, Charles Daly, Norinco, or even Springfield Armory can never have. The Government Model, Python, and the Single Action Army are the most desirable handguns ever made.

Let's hope Colt one day regains its rightful place among shooters.

I shoot a 70 Series Gold Cup, as well as a few other pistols. I don't shoot the Gold Cup much anymore, but have shot some .400 Cor-Bon through it, recently. Including the .400 Cor-Bon, the pistol's never jammed, and it's plenty accurate for me. I installed Meprolights on it three years ago. I've never had a pin break, but it does wiggle out frequently. It's now affixed with Loctite 271, and seems to be doing o.k.

I also have a lnib 70 Series Gold Cup that's had one magazine shot through it. I just keep it in the safe, but I'm not sure why, as I don't intend to ever sell it.

I don't use the finger-type bushing either. Mine's fitted with a N.M. solid bushing.

I concur with Jeff OTMG regarding the finger bushing used in the Gold Cups. While they work and contribute to a tight fit (and accuracy), they tend to break and should be replaced with a solid NM bushing.

A current Gold Cup does not...

have the finger bushing. They have a pretty well fit N.M. bushing.

I like both of my GCs, which are Series 80. I cannot shoot better than them, despite trying like heck. Ditto for my Delta Gold Cup. It's like a laser pointer, too. Haven't had the sights fly off yet, mebbe Colt cured it with the roll pin.

My advice: Examine them all and buy what you want. Don't let anybody else unduly influence you. After all, it will be YOUR gun not theirs! :D

My father, who was not a lettered man but had lots of common sense, once told me that "life was too short to make all of the mistakes yourself. You have to learn some things from others mistakes."

The older I get, the more I know what he meant.

Pigpen

I am generally pleased with my Series '80 Stainless Gold Cup. It has an aftermarket sight ( Millet) and thumb safety ( Wilson). Compared to the Kimber Gold Match, it is more forgiving of iffy ammo, but is a bit less accurate. It is an occasional carry gun for me.

Back