How far does shot travel?

White Rabbit

I don't mean the effective range. I mean the max distance something like a 7/8 target load will travel before it hits the ground.

Thanks fellas,

WR

------------------
--"We need guns... lots of guns."--

FWIW, duck blinds in Virginia, by law, must be a minimum of 500 yds. apart. (I think there is an exception for adjoining land owners, but let's not get into the picky details.) John

This is another reason why shooting ranges are being pushed out of many areas. The acres needed for a 500 yard buffer and to not overly disturb the neighbors makes a range expensive to procure and to pay taxes on (for clubs who don't want the strings attached to "non-profit" or government leases).

If you promise not to post any "man, that was real stupid" posts 'cause I already know it was, I'll give you a definitive answer. When I was young, a friend and I would shoot #8 shot at each other from standard vel. 12 ga. We were just about 150 yds from each other. (I just remeasured the distance and that is about right.) The shot would reach us, but it was like someone had taken a small number of #8 pellets and simply tossed them at us from a few yards away. In other words, they had no power left at all. So that would be the maximum for that particular shot size. Of course, smaller shot or higher vel. shot may go considerably farther.

One way to test the distance, if you want to, is to find a deserted calm lake that's long enough and take your best shot, so to speak. You should be able to get a good estimate of the distance by looking for the splash area. Of course, your local laws apply, i.e., you might need to use only steel shot for this experiment.

I would suggest in a wide ditch or off a lake promentary, as range-finding is difficult over water unless there are markers/floats put out at known ranges. [A calm day helps too!] A formula is available for all shot sizes ranges...as discussed previously on this site.

Back