How durable is the Makarov?

mvdemarco

Has anyone fired alot of rounds with their Makarov? I have a new Bulgarian on the way and I'm curious it it is as tough as a modern design such as a Ruger or a Glock.

The Makarov just does not wear out. Sure, once in a while you'll have to replace the recoil spring, but other than that? Nah.

Hello. I have no first-hand knowledge of this, but assuming that the steel's good, I think that because the gun's large for caliber, it is less stressed than it would be were it smaller. Just guessing now, but I suspect that because of the above and because the 9x18Mak is not a high-pressure round, the makarovs will take one heck of a lot of shooting.

Best.

A former coworker claims to have over 50,000 rounds through his East German Makarov. Knowing him, I'd say he's got 50K and then a few more.

A light day at the range for this guy is 2,500 rounds.

Makarovs were designed for very extenssive field use. I have NEVER seen Makarov out of comission.
I do not know how many rounds it can stand up to, but I am sure it is ALLOT.

Can't go wrong with Mak

The Makarov is like the Energizer bunny. It keeps going and going and going. AND its accurate too!

Pilot

I can't even comprehend the pain that would be caused by firing 2500 rounds through a Mak in one day. Those pistols just plain kick. It kicks more than my .40.

Rob

Is the Mak recoil really that surprising?!?! It's such a small light round that it fires. What can you really compare it to?

I have a Russian MAK, which was my first semi pistol, and I have put thousands of rounds through it. It has never jammed or given me problems. I now use it to judge the reliability of any new handgun I get.

I was reading somewhere that if you replace the plastic grip with one of those rubberize grips,that the recoil is alot less snappy,any one try this yet? I`ll get one this weekend and let you know how it is.

I've had a Pearce grip on my Mak for about 6 years now. Maybe longer. It's 100% better than the cheap plastic grip that Baikal put on it. I also have a Makawrap laying around somewhere that I tried and promptly took off. I didn't like the squared off backstrap on it.

Rob

hipwr40 I have to agree. Different people have different perceptions of recoil, I certainly would have never thought about the recoil of a Mak but to some people it is significant. I ran 200 rounds through my Russian today using my new Competitvie Edge Dynamics shot timer. The Mak is a pleasure as always. Oh, and once again, I came home with my fragile Russian adjustable sights intact.

Maks have a "snappy" recoil, and depending on the size and shape of your hands, shooting them can be uncomfortable with the stock hard plastic, angular grips. I've got large skinney hands and with stock grips the gun will put a blister on my thumb, just before the webbing between the thumb and forefinger, in no time flat. Changing to Pearce grips made a HUGE difference for me. No more blisters and significantly less felt recoil. I love shooting my Maks!

That's just me though...

Regards - Pussball

I've found the S&B ammo pleasent to shoot with the stock grips. The Norinco, TCW and Wolf has a little more bite.

I have the Pearce grips on my Russian with the adjustable sights. It is a snappy recoil, but very manageable. I don't think it would compare with a .40, I don't think it is even as sharp as a 9mm. It feels about like shooting .38's out of my Ruger Security Six, though the two have a different feel (one having a slide etc..) The Pearce grips are the way to go though...

Back