How Durable Are Airweights?

MR.G

Are the airweight frame .38 revolvers durable enough to shoot on a regular basis? I have not been able to find any information on the life expectantcy of these frames, or talked to anyone who has actually shot one thousands of rounds.

Yes, with correct (think 'plinkers') ammo.

Recommend using a bullet weight/powder charge combo that gives you 20yd (or thereabouts) point-of-aim impact.

Under 3.og Bullseye, swaged lead bullet around 120-160g.

I've carried one as a back up and been shooting airweights for over 20 years. I find that even with mild loads I cant shoot them very much, maybe 50 rds before they just hurt too much. With carry ammo, I usually shoot 10 or 15 rds every cpl months and I put it away. I carry it every day and shoot it very little. Just enough to stay familiar with it's characteristics.

I'm with the Captain. I have a S&W Model 642. My hand wears out long, long before the gun will. Ouch! :eek:

M1911

In "Shooting Times" back in 1997, there was an article in which the author and his sidekick tried to destroy a couple of lightweight S&W revolvers by shooting .38+P ammo. They put 2,500 rounds of various +P through a model 38 Bodyguard and a similar amount through another Smith airweight that I can't recall at the moment. They checked both guns for wear and accuracy every 500 rounds. Neither gun blew up, nor, according to the authors, did either loosen up to any degree or have its accuracy go down the drain. According to the report, most of the wear and tear occurred to the shooters' hands before they gave up and switched to much larger rubber grips.

Most snubs are carried a lot and shot very little by most gun owners. Like others have said the little devils aren't much fun to shoot due to the stiff recoil.

7th

I dont think durability is too much of an issue.

Recoil is kind of not fun with them, and you will wear out before the gun does.

Back