How does a Fiber Optic work?

Mike Davies

I have a red fiber optic front sight on my Norinco 1911A1.
Does a fibre optic gather light only through the front end of the sight, or does it gather light from its entire length, i.e. through the sides?
My reason for asking is that I've noticed that the front of my FO sight gets blackened after a few magazine-fulls are put through the Nork...
Mike

Mike, the optic rod inserts gather light from their entire length. I've noticed that sights without "rings" like the ones found on the Williams Firesights appear a little brighter. I believe this is because of the shadow caused by the surrounding rings. George

Thanks for the clarifiction, George...my front FO sight has quite a bit of its length exposed through gaps in the mount itself.

True fiber optic material is composed of a core layer of material that is impregnated with a flourescing compound that reacts to light, surrounded by a thin sheathing layer that has a different index of refraction. The way the fiber works is that UV light enters through the sides of the fiber and is trapped within the fiber because it cannot reflect back out through the sheath. The UV light causes the material in the core to flouresce and emit visible light out the end of the tube. The longer the tube the more light is captured and emitted out the end. Check out my fiber optic sight it is the brightest you will see, because it is longer and I use true fiber optic material. Keep the fiber as clean as possible but do not do anything that deteriorates the sheath. Stay away from brake cleaner and gun scrubber etc. Replace the fiber every once in a while when it gets too dirty to clean.

Back