How does a convicted felon get a CCW permit??

Rob Pincus

I received a email today from a guy who was convicted of a felony for a non-violent white collar crime. He asks how he can get a CCW permit.

I have heard quite often that a convicted felon can often successfully have some of his rights restored.

Does anyone know who such a person would contact on the matter, and whether or not there is a precedent for the restoration of the right to keep and bear arms ??

My initial thoughts were that he should contact he Attorney General of the state he lives in or where he was convicted.

My first thought on reading the thread header was to say, "Get hired by a law enforcement agency, preferably federal, like Border Patrol or U.S. Marshals." A college acquaintance pursued that very route, and is now happily disarming others, after specifically telling the feds of his felony conviction.

Yes, you can appeal, and yes, I think that contacting your attorney general would be the best place to start. Seems to me, if you've actually paid your debt to society, then you should have free exercise of ALL of your rights. Then again, I am a radical.

------------------
Voting libertarian means never having to say you're sorry.

Under federal law a convicted felon my not possess any handgun. Simple possession by a convicted felon is itself a felony. Also per the Supreme Court a felon's 2nd Amendment rights cannot be restored even if he/she receives a full pardon. The only way to win back those rights is to go back and get the felony conviction reduced to a non-felony.

For the purpose of the law a felony is any crime punishable by more than one year in jail.

My advice (if he or she has a ton of money) is to find to TOP NOTCH law firm in the state where he or she was convicted and have them investigate the possibility of reducing the conviction to a non-felony - it can sometimes be done. Otherwise take a chapter from the Dukes of Hazard and buy a bow and arrows. :)

Steve

Scholling, you are missing the point. We are discussing the option of regaining ones rights, though they have been convicted of a felony.

------------------
-Essayons

it is possible to petition the court to resrore civil rights after a felony conviction. it is not the same as a pardon, but does restore most civil rights , including the right to own a gun. my understanding, it's up to the judge who sentenced originally, as to whether or not to grant petition and what rights will be restored. i believe it requires 5 years after release without further incident after which you can petition the court.
certainly, the attorney gen. could advise on this , as i am sure it varies somewhat by state. cmore

That exemption is written into GCA 68. Look it up. I know one case where a man who pleaded guilty to a felony was later able to obtain an OK to buy a handgun. His name: Spiro T. Agnew, former Vice President of the U.S.

Jim

Rob,

I have a brother-in-law who had his rights restored in Alabama where he was convicted of a non-violent felony.

He was an LEO, off duty, drunk with some buddies, just saw a movie where someone cut the heads off parking meters with a pipe cutter, somebody dared him...the rest is history if you're a Southern boy! Lost his job and (irony) ended up working in the oil fields as a pipe fitter at one time.

He had to appeal to the Governer - don't know if it went through the Atty General or not but that makes sense. Had to show a long-time clean record and have lots of reputable (prominant) character witnesses. I also believe he had to show good reason for regaining his rights (personal protection etc.)

Mikey

Mikey and Jim,

Thanks for the real world examples, and Jim, special thanks for the citing og GCA as the source for the precedent.

Prichard,

I don't know the movie...I can see the scene in my mind but it doesn't click regarding the movie title. I haven't seen Cool Hand Luke in a long time - I may try to rent it this week!

Thank God they didn't dare him to eat all those eggs!

Mikey

This brings up an intersting irony in criminal justice.
Seems that all convicted felons loose many of their civil rights for life...including the right to vote. Reinstatement involves petitioning the court with all the time and expense you might imagine.

As a result, those without the means, never do get their civil rights reinstated. At the risk a being branded a bleeding heart liberal, this insults my sense of justice and reason. How do you hope to bring someone back into the mainstream of society if you lock them out?

At a time in history when laws are being contemplated that would make most on this Board instant felons, this seems most pertinent....especially since many felons go the property confiscation route and come out of prison lacking the means for petition and representation.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited May 31, 1999).]

Rich, your point is well made, and I have harbored similar concerns myself for several years. It first occured to me when I realized that there is a HUGE spectrum of things covered by the umbrella of "felony."

I hardly ever even use the term anymore, as it is meaningless to me. Like calling a guy who speeds a "Criminal".. it might be technically so, but it ain't right.

I break things down into "Violent Felons" and "Non-Violent Felons" or "White Collar Criminal" as often as I can. I don't think someone who has cheated on his taxes should lose his right to protect himself. Maybe lose his right to vote, until he catches up..since voting is a privelege that we get as part of our contract with the gov't, which includes taxes.

I read somewhere that the federal gov't spends over $1000 going after non-violent criminals for every $1 it spends on Violent ones. That tells you a lot right there. Honestly, do you think the Feds care more about Donald Trump's Tax Return or your personal safety ??

Our society is rotting from the ground up, and all the top cares about is the money trail. When the the frequency of violent crime gets more up into the "tax base," maybe we'll get a little more attention focused on things that really do reduce crime.

------------------
-Essayons

It also concerns me how easily we may become felons.

We in the pro-gun movement frequently exhort the government to put the crooks in jail - forgetting that with the stroke of a pen WE may become the crook!

It is my fervent prayer and apparently futile hope that our legislatures would follow the sage advice of the politician who said, "Every time we create a law we should abolish two law".

(Is that a Rep. Dick Army "original" or was he quoting someone?)

Rob,
I surely do agree with your point about the non-violent v. violent offenders. I don't feel a lot safer when they kick a murderer, robber, or rapist out of prison to make room for some guy who can't/won't pay his child support. How's he gonna pay it when he's in jail? PC crap! Just garnishee his wages, salary, bank account and get the money!

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited May 31, 1999).]

Back