How do you turn your significant other into a shooting enthusist?

Anthony

Hello all,

I need help!

Most of the men I know have wives who really took to shooting like the proverbial duck to water.

In my case, I'm engaged to be married and I'm trying to find a way to turn my fiancee into a shooter. She grew up in a rather bad neighborhood and never had any trouble with standing up for herself. So she has the notion that she doesn't really need to train with guns and has no desire to carry one.

The best I've been able to do is convince her to learn the basics for safety reasons as we'll be living together. She's not the least bit opposed to going to gun shows with me or the obscene amount of money I spend on my hobby. However, when she does go to the range, she lights up with excitement from shooting. She's especially fond of my AR-15.

Yet, she seems to resist going any further with it.

Suggestions? Has anyone else on the list dealt with a similar problem?

Thanks for the help.

- Anthony

Don't ever tell someone that they have to learn how to do anything. Ask her if she even wants to learn how to do it. And when you take her to the range don't make her feel that she has to go. Allways be very suportive if she does but don't say things like " Oh come on you'll love it once you do it."or " This is so easy even you could do this!" comments like these belittle the intelligence of an inexperienced shooter. When you take her along don't act like the ultimate authority, there is always someone smarter than you. Get you friends together go as a group. make her feel wellcome. Find other women at your range that know more from a woman's point of view how to teach. the only thing you are conserned about should be: #1 are you safe?, and #2 are you comfortable? This is my key to success when teaching any inexperienced shooter HE or SHE.

------------------
"The ebb and flow of the Atlantic tides, the drift of the continents, the very position of the sun along it's ecliptic! These are just a few of the things I control in my world!" Comand Master Cheif John James Ergayle quoting D.H. Lawrence in GI JANE

[This message has been edited by KNIGHT (edited March 12, 1999).]

I second Knight.

I would add: make it fun and a "game" of improvement but not of competition.

Say for a particular time at the range, comment on the fun/pride of precision and maybe that the wind was messing you up, adjusting sights or scopes for that,then the consistency. When you do well be happy and excited but not boastful...its the enthusiasm that is attractive.
I shoot almost everyday...ground squirrels and jacks. Its a matter of pride to me to use my .22 and make a one shot clean kill. If I miss, the critter gets another day, I won't take a second shot. If I don't see any I pick a twig or something at about 100 yds. The point to me is precision and fun.

All the other stuff (why she should carry, etc) comes later after she really enjoys it. Its very much like if a child wants to play a musical instrument...encourage but don't take over and sign them up for lessons.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Ya might try taking her to some of the Bowling Pin/Falling Plate match's, try to stay away from where the "big boys" are, such as major match's, might be a little intimidating. brought mine to a pin match and now she shoots the pin/plate match's and the IPSC events also and is talking about silhouette shooting now....may have created a monster.....grin.

Hey, Anthony,

Don't sweat this one. If you like to shoot and she doesn't mind the time and money you spend doing it, count your blessings and go to the range. You should always casually invite her to go along but DON'T PUSH. If she enjoys it when she does go, all the better but some people take to it in a big way and some just play at it - there's a place for everybody.

My wife shoots about twice a year - I shoot almost EVERY weekend - she can still give me a run for my money. My God! What if she practiced??

I would definitely stress that pushing her into it is not the best way to go about trying to get her more interested.

If she does go to the range, may I ask how accurate she is with the ar-15? If a person is shooting and not hitting much, they lose interest pretty darn fast. The way I became interested was shooting with an airgun in my parent's backyard at tin cans. My brother hauled out his old pump bb gun. Oleg, my brother and my dad were complaining about "the lousy sights" on the gun. I said "gimme that!" and asked how it worked...

*pump* *pump* *PLINK*!

"Nothing wrong with those sights," I said, as I handed it to Oleg.

=Q=

------------------
"Oh, grow up, 007."

Send her to a "Women in the Outdoors" OR "Becoming an Outdoors Woman" Seminar. Tell her that you think she "deserves" a weekend (or day) away with and treat her to it.

SHe'll not only learn how to shoot, but canoe or hunt.. Or she might go hiking, rcok climbing, bird watching or participate in some other activity.

WAHTEVER YOU DO: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TEACH HER HOW TO SHOOT! she may not be a wife yet, but fiancee is close enough. Don;t learn this lesson the hard way, trust me.

------------------
-Essayons

Buy her a gun of her own. Better yet, let her choose whatever she wants, and buy it for her. People like to have their own stuff to use. My wife hardly ever went to the range with me until I got her her own pistol last summer.

May you be so lucky as to have some great lady shooters in your area. One thing my local range does is have Ladies Night every Monday. Over half the lanes are in use by the fairer sex.

Our IDPA chaper has some very good lady shooters. Getting the wife/girl friend introduced to others who have fun and enjoy the time with "the girls" is a great benefit.

Best of Luck,

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739

FWIW, the History Channel is pushing Women's History Month for march. Last night's "Tales of the Gun" was about women and guns and how they've been at it as long as the men, both as hunter/protector and criminal, highlighting such great women shooters as Annie Oakley, Calmaity Jane, and others who were less beter known, but still noteworthy. As they moved towards modern times, Paxton Quigley got her two-cents in. My wife's still trying tofigure it out, but seeing strong, self-sufficient woment saying guns are OK and part of the twomen's movement for self-determination (or oughta be) made more points than I oculd have. It will no doubt be on again, check your local listings. M2

If at first you don't succeed, go get another one that is interested.

It's like finding a good bird dog. You don't spend much time on one that is gun shy.

Morgan hit it right on the head. My wife liked going with me to shoot one of my guns. Her favorite was my Hi Standard. She Loves! going now and shooting her Browning Buckmark. She picked it out, she picked out her range bag, she picked out her ear muffs and eye protection. The worst part of the deal is that little Browning is sooooosweet to shoot, but she says "Hands off, that's my gun, use one of your own."

Back