How do you REALLY CCW a .44 Magnum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogger

OK, here is the question for you revolver shooters. How do you really carry and conceal a .44 magnum revolver... say a S&W M629 with 4 inch barrel? Winter only? Holster choice? Cover garment? Choice of ammo?

1. Dress like Clint Eastwood.

2. Dress like Travis Bickle

3. Dress like Arnold Shwarteznegger (sp?)

4. Dress like John Holmes and shove it down the front of your pants. ;)

All kidding aside, a model 629 is not really a CCW choice unless you are a very large framed guy or are going to be spending all your CCW time out of doors wearing a large jacket. Eastwood's shoulder rig looked similar to a break front bianchi x-15 vertical holster.

take care , stay safe, stay legal

Dr.Rob

Dr. Rob's post reflects thinking I've read time and again, but don't agree with (not intended as a flame, Dr. Rob). I'm 5'9" and weigh 230. It's not all fat, there's AT LEAST 2.5% muscle! :) Yet the fact is, that my lighter framed and bodied pards can conceal guns which I can't.

I gave a friend my bellyband (he's about 5' 7" and weighs around 140 or so) and he wears it constantly. He can utilize many other modes of carry which I can't. Concealment is no problem at all for him, while my choices are very limited.

It's my belief that thin and/or very "trim" types of guys can carry concealed much more easily. While a large framed gun might be more difficult for them to hide than a Seecamp, I believe that whatever the gun, they can conceal it more easily than I.

Law Concealment's lcs. I have used it iwb for anything from a 1911 to a m629 4" and it is comfortable

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best

I carried a 4-inch barrelled Smith 629 for a while when my Kimber Classic Custom was being hard chromed. I didn't feel like paying $60-80 for a holster I was gonna use for a month, so I bought an Uncle Mike's nylon IWB holster and wore it strongside behind my hipbone. Gun concealed just fine under an untucked polo shirt in Florida summer.
BTW, I am 5'10" and about 220 lbs, most of it muscle, so I do have the benefit of the hourglass shape to let my shirt hang right. If you are shaped more like a pear, consider a shoulder holster and a windbreaker or vest.

[This message has been edited by RikWriter (edited October 09, 1999).]

Hae a 4" 629 that carries under a polo shirt in a Kramer IWB #3, and for more formal wear M/D Enterprises AAP belt slide. Haven't been made yet; I'm 6', 255 lbs. Only talk like Tonto, Kemo Sabe.

I'm probably one of the bigger guys here, 6"4' 285. And I'm not fat, just big. If your pants are loose enough, you can IWB just about anything short of a Calico 950.

This is a little off the subject, but a civilian in my area used his .44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk to stop (=kill) a man who'd tried to assault a woman. The caliber sent the media into a feeding frenzy. Plus, the DA used the caliber as an opportunity for posturing. It seems that the only thing the media and the DA knew about the .44 Magnum was its use in the Dirty Harry movies. So they portrayed the shooter as a vigilante killer in search of a victim and tried to get him indicted for murder.

Anyway, I know it's stupid, but the local political climate may be something else to take into account before carrying a .44 Magnum.

In a way, I agree. I don't like the idea of allowing ignorance, prejudice, and political correctness to dictate how I pursue a lawful activity.

Thankfully, the shooter was not indicted. Less thankfully, he and his family were forced to endure the intrusion of the media, as well as to live with the possibility of his imprisonment, until after the grand jury had decided his fate. The shooter also had legal fees to pay. I don't know if there was a civil suit.

The anti-gun media and the anti-self-defense DA would probably have attacked the shooter regardless of the caliber of his weapon. But they sure jumped on the .44 Magnum thing!

BTW, I don't mean to argue for or against carrying a .44 Magnum. I'm only relating a view of what happened to one man who did. YMMV. No flames, please. :)

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited October 11, 1999).]

jimmy, interesting posts. A prosecutor with an agenda can put a heavy financial and emotional burden on anyone who uses a gun defensively, even if no indictment is returned.

When I was considering a carry gun I asked an LEO-security consultant who I've worked with for many years for recommendations. He had a lot to say but recommended against a .44 Magnum. He said it would give the authorities an excuse to crucify me if they wanted to, even though the shooting was morally and legally justified. He suggested using the same caliber(s) as our local police.

But if I were going to carry a .44 Magnum, my choice would be a 3-inch Model 29 or 629, like S&W made for a while with round butt combat stocks. Pretty concealable, even for a heavy N-frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back