• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

How do you quote on this forum?

Almost right, HuntAndFish

The username does not have to be in quotations at all. Just put =username after the quote tag.

[quote=nate45]This is nate45's quote.[/quote]
Yields:
nate45 said:
This is nate45's quote.

You weren't wrong, H&F. As Dave indicated, you don't need the quotation marks, but it's ok to use them if you wish. It just takes a little more time. You also don't need them when constructing a hyperlink, but it isn't wrong to use them.

[url=http://www.thefiringline.com]TFL[/url]
is exactly equal to
[url="http://www.thefiringline.com"]TFL[/url]
in function.

Actually there is an obscure instance when you need to use quotation marks in the attribution and that's when you want to include quotation marks in the attribution itself. For example:

[QUOTE="HuntAndFish - whose motto is "I do it because we need game food to feed the world.""]I stand corrected.[/QUOTE]

will yield

HuntAndFish - whose motto is "I do it because we need game food to feed the world." said:
I stand corrected.

:)

yeah, im not seeing that lil symbol anywhere on any posts. I know how to use the vB coding, but wouldnt a button be easier

ok, when you hit the reply button a big white empty box comes up.
just above the box is a grey zone that has the little quote icon (looks like a sheet of yellow legal paper)
find a quote, highlight and copy (under edit on browser). then hit reply. hit the little quotey icon and then hit paste (under edit menu)
it wont look right until you hit the submit reply button.
hope that helps
tom

try and quote something back to me

It's the button that looks like this:

quote.gif

tplumeri said:
Almost.

There's another button, right next tot he reply button, labled "Preview Post." If you click on that button, you will see what your post will look like. In addition, it sets all the tags in the edit box, so that if you don't like how it looks, you can re-edit the message and tags to get it to look how you want.

You can edit and preview as many times as you need, before you actually post.

ok, when you hit the reply button a big white empty box comes up.
just above the box is a grey zone that has the little quote icon (looks like a sheet of yellow legal paper)
find a quote, highlight and copy (under edit on browser). then hit reply. hit the little quotey icon and then hit paste (under edit menu)
hope that helps
tom

try and quote something back to me

holy crap i think i got it now.... :)

Back