How do you measure springs?

jnsn

I just received a Star model B which I really like, but there is a cycling problem. I would like to purchase new springs but how do you measure/specify what you need? I am sure someone makes springs that would work, I just don't know how to start.Thanks

Number of coils and wire diameter are two ways to measure springs.I don't know of any compression test aside from just useing a scale and drill press to compare between two springs.

------------------
Bob--- Age and deceit will overcome youth and speed.
I'm old and deceitful.

Real guns has an article on how to measure springs. He does it in a more first class way.http://www.realguns.com/comarchive/comar16.htm

I tie an ammo can to a wire and the wire to the trigger gaurd. I then lift the gun [pointed up] by the slide and lift until the can is suspended. I put enough ammo in the can to just open the slide. I wiegh the can. I repeat with enough wieght to just open the slide all the way.

One monster spring set up I made with three springs [the middle one has a left hand twist] measured 14.25 to open and 42 pounds all the way back. That took a couple of cans :)

[This message has been edited by Clark (edited September 19, 2000).]

Back