How do you hang a punching bag?

VaughnT

My brother got me one of those water-core 70# bags for christmas and I need to get it hanging - a bag on the floor being mighty inconvenient.

I have checked all the local sports shops and none offer a brace to hang the bag, even though they sell bags! The one that I did see was for one of those little round things the boxers use, but the store was asking $100 for the blamed thing.

I don't see the need to pay that kinda money for a brace, but do need some ideas if I'm to build one or have one built. Anything I shouldn't do? Is using the bottom tie-down advised?

Not certain this will help...but....

My bag hangs from a "beam" I made by lag botling 4 2 x 6's together. I then ran it across the room and bolted to studs in the walls.

I then ran eye bolts all the way through to hang the bag, rings for pullups, metolius, etc.

I hung my heavy bag in the garage. I got a brace that looks like a cosign curve, and that mounted with screws into a supporting beam. I linked a tow chain to it and connected all the chains to 4 corners of the bag with a carabeener.

Gryphon, were'd you get the brace? What does a cosign curve look like? I might be able to have a shop fabricate something similar.

Obiwan, I love the idea, but that probably won't work in my garage. It'd definitely be a manly way to go about it, but the space can't be compromised by so large a beam. I had thought about hanging it from the rafters; the high ceilings make for too much chain length which would produce excessive wobble.

You'd think someone would sell the hanging braces!!!

as an alternative, they make floor stands for heavy bags. I dont know how much they are, but they seem well built and solid. The biggest advantage with them is you wont be knocking pictures and knic knacks off the wall while your beating the bag. :)

We just used a big fat eyebolt. Pre drilled the center of a stud and screwed it in. We beat the crap out of it and its stayed up good. It does rock the house though.

I thought most bags came w/a mounting bracket. Maybe you could search the web for the company that makes your bag, and email them for advice. I'd be surprised if they didn't offer to send you something at no charge.

As an aside, have any of you mounted a heavy duty spring between the bag and where ever it connects to the ceiling? Would doing this cut down on the shaking of the house/garage?

Back