How do you do a double-tap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambonator

Is there a certain technique one requires to shoot successful double-taps? Or is it as "fundamentally simple" as just pullin' the trigger real fast?
Are successful double-taps limited to a 9mm? Can it be done with a .45, .40SW, and/or 357sig...or a .400 CorBon? Is there such a thing as double-taps using a revolver?
Thank you for your responses!

[This message has been edited by Sambonator (edited September 17, 1999).]

Double taps may be accomplished whether your firearm is a double action revolver, DA/SA semiautomatic pistol or a SA pistol; regardless of caliber.

For a smooth and quick second shot, I try to teach the shooter not to release the trigger all the way. That is, to release the trigger just enough for the sear to reset. If this is mastered, the time delay for the second shot is reduced and the trigger isn't "slapped" which would throw the second shot slightly off.

Some folks also have problems with the DA/SA pistol. The first shot being a long DA trigger pull to cock and drop the hammer and the second a shorter, lighter trigger pull since the gun is already cocked. To train shooters, I have them perform a one-shot drill from a holstered position. They draw, fire one shot in the DA mode, engage the safety, reholster. Note, they don't automatically engage the safety but remove their finger from the trigger guard. This is done again and again so that the shooter becomes comfortable and proficient with that first shot.

Once this is done, the next drill is the double tap. At this point, they're taught to reset the trigger for the second shot. Admittingly, in some regards it would be better to train them to do this after the first shot (from the DA mode), but safety comes first.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Sambonator-
The "double tap" is broken down by some into various sub-techniques (hammer pair, controlled pair) etc.

Basically, I think you're referring to two rounds with one sight picture. Some say the second round goes downrange before recoil, some say after. In any case, you do not have a sight picture for the second round.

The general key is to make sure you do not release the trigger completely after the first round. Try this in dryfire. If you have access to a timer, time the rounds. A fair time between the two is .15-.25 seconds.

A good rule of thumb is to make sure both rounds at say, 7 yards, fall into an area that can be covered by one hand (both in the A-Zone). If there closer than that, go more quickly. If further, slow down.

Double tapping, while still taught, is seldom discussed in this manner. You don't want to wind up in a civil procedure trying to explain that you discharged the weapon without having positive alignment on your sights.

The best way to learn the technique is thru the "controlled pair". Here, you wait to reacquire a sight picture before the second shot. As you develop proficiency, the "double tap" will come naturally.

I imaging it can be done with a revolver. Certainly it can be done with any caliber pistol you control well.
Hope this helps.
Rich

OK, that's all great for the "Pros" who get to put a few hundred downrange each week, but for us "Amateurs," learning to double tap I think that reactive targets are the key.

I was trying to learn this technique with my Taurus PT 100 for months and it just wasn't coming. Then I started shooting bowling pins with some buddies and Voila! I was double tapping naturally without even realizing it by the end of the day.

------------------
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

TO All:
I agree with most of what is being said and have trained that way also. HOwever, as most encounters come between 3-7yds, one can only reference the sight. Actual sight alignment, as we describe it and know it, is almost impossible. Therefore sight referencing is acceptable, as the sight is seen, however, not exactly aligned.

This is hard to exlpain. But as Rich mentioned, the shot placement should be about the width of a hand, however, as long as it is in the "STOP" area, the double tap procedure will work. "Been there and done that"

Here is a technique that I have mastered and it works. Takes a little parctice, but as the gun is drawn and brought into the area of hold, look at the back of the gun.. You will refernce, (see) the front sight, and at 3-7yds you can't hardly miss.

In our training double tap from the holster 3 Sec's, even with a revolver. They are now teaching triple tap. Three shots, 5 sec'/ two to center mass, one groin or head.

So I guess it is a matter of training as to what a double tap is and can be, and now with the triple tap, due to 9mm not doing the job, the game changes.

HJN

Wow Rich and Harley! Great minds do think alike. Now, how do I fit myself into that picture? ;)

------------------

9mm not doing the job?

How one cartridge gets so much bad press, I don't know. Especially one with redeeming characterstics like moderate recoil, decent "stopping power" (I know, its a myth, but truth is some rounds perform better than others, the term stopping power describes that as well as anything), low price ammo for extensive practice, lots of variety of pistol designs, high capacity (potentially), good penetration, low flash, etc.

As far as how to learn, isn't this more a matter of muscle memory? That seemed to be the key for me. The second shot was more "felt" than "sighted" and as I shot more and more, the place where the second shot was more defined until I went right to the spot I needed to be in, made a tiny adjustment as necessary and squeezed. It gets to be one motion.

Not to brag, but after 2 or 3 sessions shooting pins, I could put 2 rounds on a pin before it fell over about 1/4 of the time. Usually shot off the back of the table and cleared it by a couple of feet when this happened. It is a very satisfying feeling ;)

------------------
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

Hi Gary,

It has been a very long time since I was a police firearms instructor, but I agree with having the trainee practice drawing from the holster and firing. Just don't get the troops so grooved into this drill that they get into a real situation, draw, fire one shot at the bad guy, and then reholster. There is at least one report of that happening. Result not fatal, thank Heaven; all concerned missed!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I concur. One thing I emphasize is to cover the target and sweep prior to holstering. It takes quite a while to break officers from the range habit of immediately holstering after firing the requisite rounds.

Gary

------------------

I hear all of this talk about "double taps" in the gun magazines. Why do people like to limit it to procedures like a)double tap b)stop with gun at low ready c)evaluate the situation d) if bad guy is still trying to kill you, go for the head shot...

With all due respect to those who have had far more experience w/ firearms than me, I still can not understand why they like to limit the shots to two. etc.... With the comparably weak ammo that is found in most handguns, would it not be better to shoot until all but the last, say 2, rounds are left; and THEN go for a head shot? If the guy is trying to murder me and my wife, I am just wondering if he would simply change his mind or OBVIOUSLY be so wounded that there is no way that he would kill us during the time of evaluation at ready ? I thought shoot outs are usually over w/in several seconds. I thought that 96% one shot stops are myths and only give creedance to comparison between loads?

Why double taps? Why not quadruple, or sextuplet, or whatever taps? I'm not trying to argue with anyone here, I'm just wondering what so many of these gun writers know that I don't know. They never seem to explain why "double" is the magic number.

By the way, I appreciate the detailed explanation of double tapping above. May it not be used for tapping off unlimmited rounds in a row?

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

In short Equalizer, yes.

As the thread asked only about double-tap and not any follow up response, our collective responses addressed only the initial question.

Yes, you're right about the failure drill (double tap to the body followed by a head shot) and many departments teach their officers this technique. While it is villified by the media and decried as brutality by the public, some departments modify this to successive shots on the target to cease a threat (zipper effect). For myself, I try to teach the officers to be flexible and to think and adapt their tactics since each aggressor will react differently when shot.

------------------

Equalizer-
I don't know of too many trainers that teach a double and then to the "low ready"...Certainly not Walt Marshall or Harry Humphries. In fact I don't know too many trainers that use the "low ready" at all in active target engagement.

I think the common training is two (or three, if you can and like) and then assess. For some, the "assess" may mean lowering the gun just enough to see the opponent's hands (palms is better); for others the "assess" may mean bringing the sights up to the head and pressing if it's not compliantly dropping as hoped.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited September 19, 1999).]

Thanks Gary and Rich. I realize that you are addressing a specific question. I've learned from your answers.

My statements weren't directed at you or anyone here personally. Chuck Taylor is one writer who comes to mind when talking about the "textbook double tap" scenario. Other gun writers, over the years (not necessarily trainers) have made reference to the technique. I've heard the reasoning of why double tap, rather than one shot, but have never heard the justification for two rather than shoot near empty. Is this because of legal concerns? Is it that a DA and jury would think that there would be malicious intent if the bad guy had more than two or three new holes? If this is the reason Mr. Taylor prescribes this, maybe there IS a big reason for carrying a big .45 Super w/high velocity fragmenting hollow points. No?.........

I can think of a two good reasons.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Legal implications...though I think this is popularly blown out of proportion.
<LI> Ammunition Conservation.
</UL>

In the case of the second, remember that the double tap was popularized by Jeff Cooper. Therefore, the assumption is that the first two hits are both in the A-Zone.

The further assumption is that your gains are marginal for more rounds in the bioler room if there are other targets/opportunities like the brain shot or other assailants. While running your gun dry in a gunfight is not the worst thing (assuming you got hits), neither is it a good thing.

And then, of course, we have the risk of the growing number of perps with body armor...."Oops...I'm dry. Can I get a do-over?" ;)
Rich

Double tap is a training thing, like any other academic exercise. They want to make sure that every shooter gets the same instructions, imho.

I'm no physicist, but I thought I read somewhere that two shots in close proximity (i.e., double tap) equal 4 times the force of a single shot, or 2 squared, instead of just double.

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

When I instruct, I teach a double tap by telling the student not to relaese the trigger all the way. Just enough to reset the sear. However caution must be used not to short stroke the trigger during stress. Thus not resetting the sear. This happens quite often during double tap drills.

------------------
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

I recently watched a guy show his girlfriend how to "double tap". He walked up to the line, unholstered and quickly put two rounds downrange. One hitting the shoulder of the silohoutte target, the other hitting the metal hanger that was holding the target--causing the target to fall to the floor. Gentlemen, this was with a .380. I moved one lane down and commensed with my practicing.

I think it needs to be said also that there is a BIG difference between "double taps" and "hammers".

A "hammer" being--two shots fired as fast as possible.

At least with a Double-tap the front sight is re-aquired before the next trigger pull...making it more precise, with less "guesstimation".

[This message has been edited by The Mohican Sneak (edited September 23, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back