How do you clean your cleaning brushes?

JJ45

Brushes such as bore or toothbrush type gun cleaning brushes or any brass, bronze, nylon, natural bristle, etc....When they are dirty, what is your cleaning method?

Obviously you don't want to discard a good brush after just a few passes..

I generally use brake cleaner but am looking for something less caustic....Thanks, JJ

dishwashing soap and hot water and rinse well

save your old coffee can or use a bucket and soak them in hot soapy water

Mineral Sprits

Obviously you don't want to discard a good brush after just a few passes..
I reuse my brushes even when they are starting to fall apart. Really depends on the service of when to clean and when I do, I use Mineral Sprits. Break-cleaner is used for other cleaning purposes. One word of caution; Don't use Carb-Cleaner …. :)

Be Safe !!!

These are good points, good old dish washing soap and hot water, I guess as good a degreaser/cleaner as any :)

Step outside the garage, spray the bore brush thoroughly with Shooters Choice Quick Scrub. Dries in a few seconds. That washes the solvent and carbon out of the brush, extends life.

I use them until I feel like they've lived their best life.
Then I throw them in the trash.
Then I crack open the bulk package and pull a new one out.

I don't clean my cleaning brushes.
If I do something with a cleaning brush that makes me not want to put it back in a firearm without cleaning it, then it never goes in a firearm again (unless there's a damn good reason ... like scrubbing rust scale out of a surplus rifle).
My time is too valuable to be cleaning cleaning supplies. And my firearms are too valuable to be using questionable cleaning brushes in/on them.

Back