How Do You Carry Yor ASP

KPS

For you civilians that carry an ASP, how and what do you carry it in?I haven't really found a holster for them that wasn't geared towards LEO's.

I'm interested in this as well. I carry an ASP (well, Monadanock, actually) on duty and it would be nice to have a way to carry it off-duty as well. However, the only holsters I have seen are obviously designed for duty gear and not concealment.

I do seem to recall seeing a shoulder rig (?) in an ASP brochure, but I can't find anything on it ATM.

Mike

(There's a recent thread on this subject on Practical Tactical on BladeForums.com.)

I made an IWB for my Monadnock Autolock out of an old Brauer Bros. suede holster using a leather repair kit. Worked okay behind strong-side kidney.

Then my hip started acting up. Now I schlep around a Canemaster Gentleman's Cane and leave the expanding baton on the dresser. Seems unfortunate to not have it in use; Monadnock makes a nice piece.

I was thinking of a leather sheath that could be worn on the belt hanging lower than the other holsters but looked like a utility knife sheath.I work in the construction industry so it would fit right in.Don Hume makes something like it but I've never seen it in person.

This page has the shoulder rig, as well as a horizontal belt rig:
http://www.selfdefenseproducts.com/asp.htm

I have both the horizontal and sidebreak holsters, and they are OK. The sidebreak works well clipped inside a shoulder bag (or purse, I suppose) to keep the ASP in place. I rarely carry the ASP, but I think rear-pocket carry would work just fine. That's how I've been carrying my SureFire recently and it's surprisingly comfortable.

The latest issue of SWAT magazine has an article recommending IWB appendix carry, without a holster.

This is the one Don Hume makes.I'm not sure how quick it can be pulled out though.

c121.jpg

The latest issue of SWAT magazine has an article recommending IWB appendix carry, without a holster.

I carried like that only once - it may have held in place better with a belt, but my baton slid down into the pants leg and right out the bottom. Whoopsie!

As previously stated, tip down in right rear pants pocket (when not wearing a belt holster). I have an ASP holster which doesn't get much use. I also have the surgical rubber belt band from www.selfdefenseproducts.com which I have used a few times with success. Just make sure enough of the handle portion sticks out.

When I carry mine I carry it in my right front pocket. When I wear jeans the watch pocket is like a built in holster.

Inside the waist band [appendix] carry. Generally, I am wearing a belt because I'm also carrying a pistola and all the mandatory accutremonts.

Gomez

Back from a "wonderful" week with the in-laws trapped in a cabin on a beach......:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

I'm looking for a good answer to this as well. I have a 26" Monadnock Autolock that's a pain to carry. I'm looking at the LAPD Shoulder Rig from www.survivalsheath.com

I'll be able to carry my Beretta 96 AND autolock! :D

I got a Safariland F-26 holder from ebay, and I'm not thrilled. Its a bit small for the 26" autolock diameter wise. However, it does ride high on the belt so I can drape a shirt over it and carry concealed. Just need a stiffer belt so the damn thing doesn't flop around on me. Oh...it also is adjustable for angles from 90-45 degrees!

We'll see....

this is something I do sometimes on those nonCCW(firearm) occasions when I really can't bear to go someplace without some sort of weapon: in a pocket with the grip simply exposed for easy deployment -- BUT with some kind of paper reading material folded in a somewhat flat rectangle around it, as if you had jammed something in your pocket to read later.

although it does tend to shift around, it's better than nothing and it's very purloined letter, you know, hidden in plain sight. no-one's ever felt like snatching a folded newspaper movie section out of my pocket yet.

YMMV

-alex.

My $.02...

Well, I've actually used Don Hume's pouches to carry my ASP(it's actually a PPCT Phoenix baton, but it's the same size as a 21" ASP), and here's what I have to say on the subject:

1) The open-top pouch pictured in KPS' post fits VERY tightly, to start. This is due to new-leather tightness, wet-molding to the exact model of baton ordered, and a dime-sized nub of foam covered by leather on the inside of the pouch that provides added tension/friction. If you get one of these pouches, I suggest that you jam your ASP in as deeply as you humanly can(it WILL go all the way in, you'll just have to muscle it the first time), and leave the baton inside the pouch for at least a day, to allow the leather to stretch and the foam insert to compress. I also suggest ordering the smallest pouch(16" baton) available - it will expose more of the handle, allowing a better drawing grasp and reducing friction, especially if you decide to carry a 21" or 26" baton. The longer batons carry just fine and stay perfectly secure in the shorter pouch. The snap-on belt loop option makes the pouch very convenient to don/doff. The loop is usually sized for a 2.25" duty belt, but it hasn't caused me any significant problems with shifting - you may wish to try anchoring it between, say, a pager and a belt loop on your trousers, or with keepers.

2) If I were carrying an ASP as my primary self-defense weapon(i.e. NO GUNS for some reason), I would use Don Hume's "Sur-Release" baton pouch - the baton is retained by a leather cup and a snap-secured leather band around the handle, which allows for VERY secure retention AND a fast, positive draw. I find that this rig carries and draws best just behind my strong-side hip, like my pistol - and there's the rub: the defensive handgun I usually carry holstered there interferes with the baton, or vice-versa! So, I only carry the baton when I can't/don't want to carry my primary handgun.(BTW, the 16" Sur-Release works REAL good for carrying a Sure-Fire Millenium M3 or any other 9V tactical flashlight.)

3) Back-pocket carry also works OK, depending on how deep said pocket is on the pants I happen to be wearing - the deeper, the better; the shallower, the less secure. On a couple of occasions, I have had to recover the bloody thing from the seat of my car or a bench in the mall - that's why I usually prefer pouch carry.

4) Currently, I'm using one of Don Hume's newest products - a combination magazine/baton pouch(Model D425A-M/B). So far, it's working VERY well - for the concealment-minded(like me), it carries the baton high and tight to your side, and absolutely minimizes printing when you bend over. The baton draws pretty smoothly, unless you have a short waist - it also helps to order the pouch for a 16" baton, as I mentioned earlier. If nothing else, this pouch enables me to carry my baton and my pistol at the same time, without unduly compromising either weapon.

HTH, Kor

Back