How do you carry DA/SA

rifleman0311

Cocked and locked? DA? I usually carry strikers chambered with light triggers. is carrying a DA/SA cocked (without safety) any more dangerous? Thanks

IMO yes it is more dangerous with a cocked DA without a safety. Almost all striker fired pistols have a trigger safety that blocks the trigger from moving rearward which DA/SA pistols lack. If I wanted to carry a pistol with the hammer cocked it would have a safety engaged also but personally I CCW a hammer fired with the hammer down.

Thanks for the reply. Just new to the da/sa world. My CZ love affair has forced multiple aquisitions of non striker fired pistols haha. I have been swapping the decockers to the manual safety as of lately and carry cocked and locked since I prefer the lighter SA pull.

Like I have always carried my DA/SA handguns (personal and issued) locked and loaded, no safety and never cocked.
Don't need it cocked, the trigger will fire it when pulled. Just learn to shoot the first round in DA mode. Do it enough, it will become natural.

If and when I carry a DA/SA handgun, I carry it with a round chambered, ready to fire in double action. I have 2 pistols that I may carry. 1 is DA/SA, the other is DAO.

Chamber loaded and hammer down.

I figure that if I don't even have time to cock the hammer, it will be a very close shot I will be unlikely to miss.

I generally carry DAO pieces, so a DA trigger doesn't bother me anyway. I make sure I get lots of practice with them.

I appreciate your CZ love affair! She ruined my life too.

I carry my P-07 in DA with a round chambered. It's far easier for me to simply pull the trigger than to manipulate a safety, and the decocker/safety switch on this gun is hard to hit with my thumb anyway.

I would never carry this gun cocked without a safety. While it does have an internal firing pin block and cannot fire without the trigger being pulled, if it were ever dropped with the hammer back and the muzzle pointed upwards, I'm confident the trigger would "pull itself" and fire the gun.

it's taking a lot of practice but I've become very accurate using the double action trigger. And as a result my shooting on every other gun has improved.

Get a really good leather holster that covers the trigger. My Glock 43 is always fully loaded when I go out. Once you get really use to it you become very careful with extraction and unloading. But the trigger has to be fully covered no pockets without a holster. That is a sure accident

Personally carry hammer down safety off one in the chamber.

However, I train with the safety on hammer down so I naturally “sweep” the safety off when I draw in the event that it gets engaged accidentally.

The ones I have - one in the chamber, hammer down and safety off - my carry holsters cover the entire trigger/trigger guard. Actually, no different than carrying my revolvers that are DA and SA - all chambers loaded, hammer down - in a holster that covers the entire trigger/trigger guard.

To me, the point of DA/SA is to carry with a round chambered, hammer down.
Since none of my DA/SA options have a safety, I don't even worry about that.

All holsters completely cover and protect the trigger.

DA/SA is one of my favorites. Okay, it is my favorite. I've meddled with striker-fired pistols and still own one. (did a huge amount of downsizing over the last year).

Hammer fired guns just feel more natural to me.

I have a friend who used to carry his SIG P229 (one of my carry pistols) with the hammer back. On a DA/SA platform that's extremely dangerous. If you so much as slip and fall the gun will go off. The sear is disengaged and there is nothing stopping that trigger from being pulled. The inertia alone will set that gun off.

Striker-Fired pistols have trigger safeties also referred to as the "dingus" on the trigger shoe itself to prevent the inertia bump.

So NEVER carry your DA/SA pistol unless it's also one with a safety on it.

Example, a SIG P226/9/8/0/etc is a decock only conventional DA/SA.

The HK USP 9, P30, etc in V1 has a safety/decocker. So you can carry it DA/SA or SAO.
Same with the FNX 45.

If you convert the HK to a V3, it'll be exactly like a SIG pistol with DA/SA only and no safety. Which is what I did to my EDC pistol. My USP 9 Compact was a V1 (safety/decocker) and I changed the detent plate and lever to V3 (decock) only.

Carry the guns as they're intended to be carried by the manufacturer.

DA/SA is one of my favorites. Okay, it is my favorite. I've meddled with striker-fired pistols and still own one. (did a huge amount of downsizing over the last year).

Hammer fired guns just feel more natural to me.

I have a friend who used to carry his SIG P229 (one of my carry pistols) with the hammer back. On a DA/SA platform that's extremely dangerous. If you so much as slip and fall the gun will go off. The sear is disengaged and there is nothing stopping that trigger from being pulled. The inertia alone will set that gun off.

Striker-Fired pistols have trigger safeties also referred to as the "dingus" on the trigger shoe itself to prevent the inertia bump.

So NEVER carry your DA/SA pistol unless it's also one with a safety on it.

Example, a SIG P226/9/8/0/etc is a decock only conventional DA/SA.

The HK USP 9, P30, etc in V1 has a safety/decocker. So you can carry it DA/SA or SAO.
Same with the FNX 45.

If you convert the HK to a V3, it'll be exactly like a SIG pistol with DA/SA only and no safety. Which is what I did to my EDC pistol. My USP 9 Compact was a V1 (safety/decocker) and I changed the detent plate and lever to V3 (decock) only.

Carry the guns as they're intended to be carried by the manufacturer.
IIRC, doesn't a regular P series SIG without the short reset trigger actually re-engage the firing pin block between shots if you let the trigger all the way forward? I thought that is how the SRT was able to accomplish what it does. I absolutely would NOT carry a P series SIG with the hammer back, but without the SRT I do think it has some form of drop safety (albeit no provision for inertia).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I adhere to the school of thought that a manual safety is an extra and potentially fiddly step between you and defense. I believe that fewer controls are better and reducing to "just the trigger" is good. I see DA/SA as a way of building safety into that trigger.

Yes, it involves two types of pull but versus operating multiple controls, I feel like training concerns are overblown. The heavier pull of double action is acting as the "at rest" safety against unplanned discharge as you make your way through the world. Getting through that first shot opens up a hot mode with a trigger that is both light and crisp on follow-up shots.

I carry a small DAO revolver a lot of the time because it is very easy for me to comfortably carry all day. I'm reasonably proficient with it. However, I feel like I'm better with my DA/SA autoloaders when doing drills because of that transition. Follow-up shots and double-taps are just that much easier and with the increased capacity, it seems to make a noticeable difference.

When I carried a third gen Smith 5906. It was hammer down safety off. Always considered it like a double action revolver.

That was longer ago than I care to think about :(

IIRC, doesn't a regular P series SIG without the short reset trigger actually re-engage the firing pin block between shots if you let the trigger all the way forward? I thought that is how the SRT was able to accomplish what it does. I absolutely would NOT carry a P series SIG with the hammer back, but without the SRT I do think it has some form of drop safety (albeit no provision for inertia).

I did not know that. So the SRT eliminates that and the standard SIG trigger reengages the firing pin block? Are you sure? :confused:

Back