How do rifles eject bullets?

Tool

I'm a rookie to the rifle world. Today I was playing with some dummy bullets. Unlike pistols that will eject the bullets when you rack the slide, my CMMG Banshee 9mm did not eject the dummy bullet at all when I was cycling the charging handle. In the end I had to use a stick to poke the bullet out :D:D Is this normal?

How thick is the rim on the dummy?

Could be the extractor isn't getting a good grip on the case rim.

Did you single feed it into the rifle or did you let it feed/load from the magazine?

You can also take the bolt out of the rifle and try snapping a round on the bolt head. If it just falls off, the spring on the extractor might be weak.

Thanks for the reply.

I also tried it using real bullets, it did the same thing. Yes, I did use an AR conversion 9mm magazine to feed the bullet.

Will check the ejector spring when I get a chance.

Not to be mean or pedantic but the bullet is just the thing that leaves the barrel.

'Proper' terminology would be 'round' or 'cartridge'. After the gun fires the bullet you'd say the rifle ejects the 'case'. In your post it would be more precise to say 'dummy round' or 'dummy cartridge' instead of 'dummy bullet'.

When I say I'm buying 'bullets' I'm buying just the metal bullet (they're usually metal) that flies out of the muzzle of the gun. I assemble a round or a cartridge by putting a primer in a case, adding powder and seating the bullet on top.

All that said, I appreciate new members to the forum and please don't feel put upon. I'll wager someone will come along and correct or expand on what I just wrote.

Good luck.

P.S. I've actually had to use a stick to poke a bullet out of a gun. It was a revolver and one of my reloads didn't have enough 'omph' to push the bullet all the way out of the barrel. The case came out of the cylinder normally. I was trying for some low recoil target loads and was using the lowest gunpowder charge listed. My bad. A learning experience for me.

Last edited:
I've never fired one so I don't know the exact issues it might have--but from what I've read it uses a lugged bolt design expressly intended to create resistance to the bolt unlocking and delay the extraction of the case. This presumably avoids having to use a heavier carrier and buffer system that a blowback system uses. If it will cycle normally with nothing at all fed or with factory ammo (done with safety on and weapon pointed at something you don't mind destroying) then the issue probably lies with either the snap cap (I assume that's what your testing with) or with the way the rifle cycles. 9mm cartridges are actually pretty sensitive to the feed angle in PCCs (pistol cartridge carbines) and can wedge easily in the chamber if slightly out of alignment on feed--that can be further aggravated by the type of bullet or whether the face of the chamber on the barrel is not adequately radiused.

Not sure if you know any other gun people that can help you out.

The NRA still has the Applebee's Program running. They have 4 different locations in MN next month.

https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/

These are good programs to help new shooters out. That and you'll meet like minded people, that are into shooting.

Back