How do I remove gold wash from gutta percha?

finloq

I have these on the way for my Model 1889. How do I remove the gold wash from the logo area without discoloring the rubber?
5737fe8a8958011ed6b02a0cd9e12b6a.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder if that is real gold. I doubt it, and think it is probably gold paint of some kind, in which case it can be removed with paint remover IF the stocks are really gutta percha. If they are plastic, the paint remover will damage them. No matter what you use, test some on the back of the stocks first to be sure it won't do any harm.

Jim

Gutta Percha

Gutta Percha is still used in dentistry, every single day.

The material used for root filling after a root canal is Gutta Percha in most cases.

I only mention this to assist in your quest with regard to what might work to remove the gold without damaging the Gutta Percha. PubMed is a great resource.

That is interesting; I had assumed that gutta percha (hard rubber) had been totally replaced by plastic, but I didn't know about the dental use. Unlike most plastic, gutta percha (a natural product) starts out flexible, but becomes brittle as it ages, and most gun grips are now of an age where great caution is needed in handling them.

Jim

Back