How do I load a moon clip?

Sambonator

I'm certain this is a dumb question... but how do I load ammo into the moon clip? I purchased a 625 with some full moon clips, but I can't figure out how to load the .45ACP ammo into the moon clip!

Sam

Grasp the cartridge firmly in your fingers, seat it at the mouth of the prongs on the moon clip, and then twist it into place while pushing the cartridge into the recess in the moon clip.

Do NOT torque the cartridge side to side, or you'll bend the clip.

Inserting the rounds got easier for me after a time or two, either because the clips loosen up a bit, or because I got more accustomed to it.

Removing the rounds from the full moon clip requires a tool. These, and also extra clips, are available from either Brownell's or from Midway.

www.brownells.com

www.midwayusa.com

Thank you for the replies! :-)

Are some moon clips easier to load than others? I had heck of a time loading one moon clip. I think I bent it too...

I read some suggestions elsewhere to cut "notches" on the moon clips between "leafs"... as much as half-way down to the center opening, with a thin dremel cutter, to make it easier to load. Has anyone tried this? What do you think of this suggestion?

Has anyone found moon clips with the "best" combination of ease of loading, and resistance to getting bent/damaged?

Are there any "loading" tools for moon clips? I've seen some "unloading" tools, but no "loading" tools.

Thank you all! :-)
Sam

Have you considered using .45 auto rim ammo? Loaded ammo is probably hard to find; but if you're a reloader you can "roll your own". The last time I checked Remington was still making the brass.

The idea of notching them

was suggested to me by someone who had done it on several clips for a .45 owned by his friend. It certainly seems to be a good idea, as that's how the 10mm clips are made.;) Meanwhile, try seating the rims of two cartridges at the same time, on opposite sides of the clip. Try to snap them both in at the same time, using one to brace the other. Yes, some of the clips can certainly be more of a chore than the others. Be careful not to bend them, as Mike pointed out.:)

Dave:
I used to reload when I used to shoot a lot of .357 magnum, and shoot a lot of skeet (different reloading machines obviously), but I haven't in quite a while since really getting into 9mm's and 45ACP's. Since I already have two automatics in 45ACP, I wanted to stick with 45ACP and not have to get something else just for my 625 revolver. In fact I would have never considered getting a revolver again if it wasn't going to fire either 9mm or 45ACP...
since this is already an expensive hobby, I wanted to put some limits on it, and my limit right now is its gotta be 9mm or 45ACP.

Sam

Tool for removing cartridges from moon clips:

Pretty easy to make. Take an appropriately sized piece of copper pipe (large enough diameter such that a .45 case will easily fit inside) and cut away one end so you are left with a 1/2" high lip approximately 1/3 the diameter of the pipe.

Sorry, that makes no sense. I really don't know how to describe it better.

However, Dillon sells a similar tool
http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=52&min=0&dyn=1&

With a couple uses, the clips accept cases easier.

And I just broke a pair of the pliers style demooners by Calif Comp Works. So be careful when demooning.

Just ordered a small and large screwdriver type domooners for difficult to remove spent cases.

The make a hollow knurled tube that is made especially for taking empties out of moon clips, you won't break that. You are going to love that 625, I have owned mine for 10 years and it;s my favorite revolver, in my favorite caliber....

7th

Thank you everyone for your input! I've been practicing loading and unloading my "bent" full moon clip, and I'm starting to get the hang of it.

The gun did come with that question-mark shaped tool... I thought it was for the revolver itself, but I figured out how to use it to unload the moon clip. Boy, I didn't realize it would be so much work just to load and unload a moon clip! Maybe I need to wear a work glove or something too... loading/unloading the moonie ain't too pleasant...

Sam

Back