How Do I Know It's Not Stolen?

boing

Let's say I want to buy a gun from a private (non FFL) citizen. Before I buy it, how do I find out if it's been reported stolen?

-boing

You can take the Make & Model # and Serial # to any police station or sheriff's office. They can run it on the computer...

If you've already bought a gun and it turns out to be stolen, you lose both gun and money. Unless you REALLY know the seller.

Our department, Kings Co. Sheriff, CA, will not run any numbers unless we have the firearm in hand.

------------------
Bruce Stanton
CDR, USN-Ret.

Are you guys really paranoid about purchasing a firearm from other guys like yourself? Nothing against FFL's, but personally I prefer dealing with non-FFL folks because of the absense of the dreaded yellow form (we all know what this information can lead to, right?). Additionally, I prefer items in their original box with the manual, original receipt (if possible), in new or unfired condition. Also I like to hear the history of the piece, how many rounds etc, etc. Most dealers can't even tell you this much when you buy a used piece from them.

It would be highly unlikely that a firearm meeting this criteria was stolen. Plus, in most cases, buyer and seller would exchange a transfer form which provides both parties with enough information to track one another down if necessary. Again, highly unlikely that a felon would be interested in all this sharing of information.

The main problem I see with buying from FFL dealers is the yellow form that is required to be filled out. Yes, dealers will tell you that no one besides themselves ever sees that information, but I assure you that all of those forms can be reviewed and copied at any time when requested by the proper authorities. If you want to assure the protection of your privacy, then buy from non-FFL folks. Why else do you think the anti-gun crowd wants to close the "gun show loophole"? Because non-FFL transactions are not subject to the registration that results from the yellow form.

Interesting to note how some guys would feel more comfortable buying from FFL's in this climate of intrusive government. If you purchase carefully from other gun enthusiasts like yourself, it's difficult to get burned, and you keep the transaction out of the government databases.

Would love to buy from an individual. But the great state of CA has had that loophole shut down for quite a few years now.

Richard

Back