How do i know if i have a right to own a firearm?

Badcompany

Inactive
I have read over my state's laws, and i am still unclear as to whether or not i can own a firearm. I really would rather not endure the disappointment of being denied at the gun shop.

Who should i ask about this matter? Should i inquire at the courthouse or sherrifs office, or should i run a background check on myself? Where can i obtain a background check that would give me this information?

Why is it such a pain for a citizen to find out what he legally can and cannot do?

I went through the same thoughts when I bought my first gun. I made some bonehead moves younger but luckily I never got a felony. Felonies and domestic violence are big no no's. Open arrest warrants are also bad news. It might be a good idea to do a background check on yourself if your unsure.

How do i know if i have a right to own a firearm?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read over my state's laws, and i am still unclear as to whether or not i can own a firearm. I really would rather not endure the disappointment of being denied at the gun shop.

Who should i ask about this matter? Should i inquire at the courthouse or sherrifs office, or should i run a background check on myself? Where can i obtain a background check that would give me this information?

Why is it such a pain for a citizen to find out what he legally can and cannot do?

First, where do you live?
Second, it already sounds like you have doubts and know the answer to your question.
What is in your past that you are asking the question?

Badcompany,
Davey has provided a link to the 4473. I'd suggest downloading it and reading the questions. It's not too hard to determine what's going to be a disqualifier under federal law if you do so.

You'll still have to figure out your state laws, though.

I addition to the good ideas here about the 4473 I would spend a small amount of money. Check with an attorney you trust. If you go to an FFL and are denied you may be visited by law enforcement thinking you were trying to purchase a firearm. This way you don't have to pay boat loads of money for a legal defense. Some jurisdictions are more uptight about this than others.

It's more of a gray area than most realize

Case in point: Guy is arrested and charged with MCDV - domestic assault, or domestic battery. The charge is amended to something like disturbing the peace.

Feds now look at the disturbing the peace charge to determine whether it included any component of violence, whether there was a "victim," and whether the "victim" was a domestic partner.

If the answer is unclear, or they have time to dig further, they go back to the original charging documents, and have been documented to have sought and obtained police reports and 911 recordings.

If the Feds determine that a MCDV has occurred, even though the guy was not specifically convicted of "domestic assault" or "domestic battery," based on what they found, they deem him a prohibited person - and it's been upheld in federal court challenges to the practice.

So it really is difficult to tell whether someone is a prohibited person in some cases.

Unfortunately, now days all you have to do is **** a women off, any woman, and if she wants, she can concoct any story she wants without any witnesses, or proof of any kind, she can ruin your life!

Tell me about it. Especially those bipolar ones. Shooo!! I seem to have a bipolar magnet. Or every woman around here is a complete nut. :D.

If you live in Illinois, you have to get a FOID or Firearms Owners Identification Card. You get the applicaton from the Illinois State Police site. You know in about 45 days whether you qualify or not. Either you get the card or a denial.

Do I have the right to ...

If it is not illegal,
you have the right to do it.

But if it's illegal and you didn't know, you are in a hurt.

would a DUI yrs ago affect this?

I have been arrested for one 3 yrs ago but the case was reduced to wreckless driving. I received a letter a few weeks ago that the DUI is being expunged but as of the other day it hasnt been done yet. I am a lil nervous about it.

Really the best way to proceed is to simply go to a local gun shop fill out the form and have them run the check. If you get approved great if not then you can consult an attorney.

Hmmmm. The Founding Fathers said that you have an "inalienable right to keep and bear arms". And you want to know whether or not you have the right to own one? If you mean are you legally restricted from owning a firearm, there are a few easy questions (as far as the Federal Government is concerned, States may be a tad different), among which are:
- Are you a convicted felon?
- Have you been ajudicated mentally incompetent?
- Are you a habitual user of illegal drugs?
- Have you been discharged from the US Armed Forces under dishonorable or less than honorable conditions?
- Are you under a restraining order for Domestic Violence?
- Are you a resident of the State where the purchase will take place?
- Are you a US Citizen or a legal resident alien?

Answer those correctly, and you should be able to own a firearm. Unless the State you reside in says it's too dangerous.

Back