How do I get my gun apart

bungiex88

I have a remington 7600 gamemaster and trying to disassemble it but can't get the tube off to take action apart. I've bent and broke many pins trying to unscrew it. I've heated it up and tried to no prevail. Someone said thee was a spanner wrench for it but haven't found any online for sale.

Did you try Googling the Owner's Manual for disassembly?
Might want to try that before you destroy your gun.
Denis

I know how to disassemble the gun the problem is it won't. You don't need the spanner wrench but makes it easier. I never try to disassemble a firearm until I know what I'm doing. I was kinda hoping someone knew where I can get that spanner wrench.

I can't find the wrench, but it should be fairly easy to make. I never encountered one of those hangers that wouldn't come off with just a heavy punch through the holes.

IIRC, that rifle was never intended for full user disassembly; to clean them, we took off the buttstock and foreend and threw the rest in the sonic bath.

Jim

DPris said:
Did you try Googling the Owner's Manual for disassembly?
Might want to try that before you destroy your gun.
Remington does not provide disassembly instructions for the 7600. I was looking at that manual a few days ago.

They offer some basic cleaning guidance, which I believe only includes cleaning the barrel and trigger group; and then they go on to a statement along the lines of:
"You should not disassemble any further. You should have Remington or a Remington Approved Gunsmith further inspect the firearm periodically for worn parts, proper operation, etc. etc."

It's about as helpful as Browning's current instructions for the Buckmark. ("Spray some stuff on the action and call it good. You should NEVER have to disassemble beyond that point." ...Which is not helpful - particularly for the pre-1996 models, with the old style slide and firing pin that require frequent cleaning.)

I watched those videos and they're good.

BTW, we had a spanner wrench that belonged to the instructor. You can actually use a long piece of round stock if it's long enough.

I always used a large drift punch. I had a length of copper tubing to slip over the punch as an extension if things were really tight. But, as I said, the sonic tank not only did a great job cleaning, but was a lot faster and cheaper. (Dirty little secret - the customer was charged the same as if I had stripped the gun and dug around with toothpicks and swabs.)

Jim

A thin blade Phillips screw drive will help get it started. After that you can use your punch. Try squirting a drop of kroll on it.

Most of us know that some guns just are not meant to be disassembled by the owner, but when has that stopped anyone from doing so? Even if it takes a big hammer and chisel and a cutting torch. :o

Jim

It was just getting pretty gritty inside the action I guess I'll just use a bunch of gun scrubber and try and blow all the grit out.

Rem. 7600

I just took mine apart last week for the first time.I took a punch that fit well in the tube holes and turned it loose,after removing the for arm.Barrel and bolt slid right out.Cleaned it up,put it back togather,and went to the range yesterday to ck the zero.It was right on. hdbiker

FrankenIdaho,
I was making an overly subtle hint that those guns are not built to be particularly user serviceable.
As in- Don't. :)

You pointed out what I was obliquely referring to & aiming Bungie at.
Too subtle, I guess. :)
Denis

Back