How do I fit pistol grips that are loose?

JJNA

Recently I acquired several Browning High Powers and Walther PP's. I've found some grips that I like for these guns, but because of different versions and manufacturing variances, the grips do not always fit tightly.

I don't want to tighten the screws too much (already cracked a $100 set of grips and learned the lesson the hard way). Is there another way to make the loose grips fit?

Someone suggested using a bit of epoxy on the grips to "build up" the loosely fitting cutouts and then sand it after curing it. Does that work well? Thanks ahead for all the suggestions.

Kind of sounds like bedding the grips. It should work but you had better be careful least you glue them to the pistol. I'm really envisioning lots of danger here.

I think I am supposed to let the epoxy cure and harden first then put the grips on the frame. Otherwise, I think I can use some kind of a shim, but I am concerned that may slide off and otherwise interfere with the internals (springs) inside the grip area.

I'd Acra-Glass it. Strip the frame, apply release agent to frame and clay to the screw holes, Acra-Glass on the grips and clamp them on the frame and let it cure for 24 hours.

Many frames are undercut to keep the grips in place, so if you use bedding compound or epoxy, you might have to break the grips if you ever want them off.

Jim

Study the frame cuts and, if possible, the original grips, looking for undercuts. It they are present, build up the epoxy on the grips (a thin strip should be enough), let it harden and then use a file or Dremel tool to shape the grips as necessary to fit the frame undercuts.

Jim

James brings up a good point, if you do use epoxy be sure to use release agent on the frame. Again sounds just like bedding the grips.

I would suggest you cut shims of heavy (cardstock) paper. Trace the grips on the paper, cut them out, cut away everything except where the grip contacts the frame. Make more than one set.

Use the sets, in layers, one on top of the other as needed until you get the desired fit of the grips to the frame. Then you know how thick your permanent shim needs to be.

Some would just use the cardstock, leave it in place and replace if the grips loosen (it can compress over time). Others would want a permanent shim, made out of metal, or plastic. Or possibly wood if you could get it thin enough without it cracking.

Sheet rubber, of the right thickness would also work, if you can get some.

my point is, you can make a field expedient that will work, from paper stock, in a few minutes with scissors and an xacto knife.

What would I use for shims?

44AMP covered it pretty well

Depending on just what needs shimming and how much is needed, you might be able to use metal shim stock, or even strips of tape

If you use duct tape remember to leave a tiny bit of silver grey showing, then when people see it they will know they are in the presence of a true Master Smith.

Cardboard does make a surprisingly good shim, especially when it has a good sealing layer applied.
It just about turns into wood.

I bought some used grips that already had blue painter's tape added in a couple of areas, and they would have had a sloppy fit without.
I remember buying a set of Hi-Power grips that came with a short length of twine; I wondered if the latter had just found it's way into the bag, or was I supposed to put it between the frame and grips, somewhere, if the fit was loose?

Back