How do I clean my p229 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just took my new Sig to the range and I was wondering how to clean it. Specifically, do I leave the gun oil on the frame and let it sit out for awhile or do I wipe it all off. How much oil is too much? Any help would be appreciated.

You'll get plenty of answers but here's what I do. Purchase some CLP (Breakfree), Hoppe's No 9 (or other high quality bore cleaner), an some heavy grease, 2 nylon toothbrushes, brass bore brush, cotton patches, qtips and appropriate cleanning rod. Remove magazine, rack the slide three times, lock slide back and visually inspect pistol to make sure it's empty. Flip down take down latch and remove slide and field strip. In safe area apply CLP to tooth brush and completely clean out slide and frame. Make sure you remove all excess with qtips and cotton patches wrapped around clean toothbrush. Now apply Hoppe's to bore and scrub with brass brush, clean feed ramp with Hoppe's and toothbrush. Do this until Hoppe's no longer comes out black. Clean out bore with cotton patches until they come out white. Inspect bore to make sure it shines. Remove all excess CLP and Hoppe's with qtips. Making sure parts are completely clean and as dry as you can get them proceed to lube pistol. Apply a thin coat of grease to barrel, area inside slide that contacts barrel, and guide rod. Don't apply grease to any other part of slide, especially keep it off rear of slide and breechface. Assemble slide. Apply thin coat of grease to slide rails, a drop of CLP to hammer pivot pin and trigger mechanism, remove excess CLP. Assemble pistol. Remove excess CLP. Finally apply thin coat of grease to entire pistol, making sure to remove all excess (this will provide a modicum of corrosion resistance). Next diassemble mags and clean them completely. DON'T apply any lubricant to magazines, the CLP residue is sufficient. I've followed this with all pistols I've handled (including SIG Sauer P226 and P229) and never had a single problem.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back