How do I block the M1A mags so that they can hold 15 rounds only

vince weng

In NJ, you are not allowed to use hi-cap mags in your rifle. I purchased an M1A and would like to get more mags for her. Since the 20 rounders are aboundant, I plan to get some and block them so that they can only take up to 15 rounds (NJ gun laws). What is the easier way to do that? I am pretty sure this modification (blocking mags) is legal in NJ.

How about using a block of wood inside the magazine under the follower ala shotgun plug style? I suppose the modification would have to be permenant though and this might not fly. Dang stinkin' do-gooders are bound and determined to drive this country right into the ground, ain't they! Maybe a punch dent in the side so the follower can't go farther than the 15 rounds? Probalby the best cure would be to get the heck out of that place ASAP! :) Good luck in occupied country though.

Don't do anything to compromise the function of the mag. If I was you, I'd buy a few factory 10 rounders.

Yeah, stock up on 20 rounders and keep em handy.. practice with the 10 round factory mags.. Don't do anything that'll ruin your 20 rounders. Hopefully the Clinton Gun ban will sunset. Any kind of limit on magazine capacity or rifles is an infringement in my mind.

Agree with above postings regarding leaving them alone, but, if you must, a block of wood will do. Just be sure it fits easily into the spring and won't cause any kinking or binding or dragging.

Well, this probably sounds stupid, but I used to use a bent-up wire coat hanger to make my HK 91 20-round mag legal for hunting.

I found the proper level and coil shape to bend it into so it fit inside the spring and under the follower without affecting function. It was probably lighter than a block of wood, also.

Now I just use a factory 5-round!

I believe it's legal in NJ to block a mag by putting spent shell casings in the mag such that you can't load more then 15 live rounds in the mag. I'm almost positive that's the case. Can anybody verify that? I would like to know myself.

I don't know NJ law, but I think it unlikely that a simple wood block or loading empty rounds will meet the legal requirements. You may have to actually cut down the 20 rounders. This is not too hard to do with a Dremel tool and cutting wheel, and will be unquestionably legal. I urge that if you keep illegal items that you make your heirs aware of the stuff. Else, if you get hit by a truck, your survivors may be arrested if they innocently try to sell the stuff.

Of course, the federal law is separate, but it doesn't prohibit ownership or sale of hi- cap magazines, only manufacture or import.

Jim

Cutting down a magazine is easy but getting the proper spring tension isn't. The spring must be strong enough to push the new cartridge up in time for the bolt to start stripping it from the mag; from first shot to last shot. Too weak and it won't feed reliably. You don't want it too strong either since it may slow down on unlocking (remember on the M14 the bullets push upward against the bottom of the bolt).

Coming from NJ, and extensively studying this issue, I can answer these questions definitively.

Acording to the Attorney General's directive to all LEO officers.

TEMPORARY blocking of High capacity magazines to the required 15 rounds is LEGAL.

SUGESTION :
I refrain from using wood blocks in my magazines, they can atract and hold moisture.

I purchase the soft Vinyl white plastic cuting boards from discount stores or your home kitchen center.
I measure the inside dimensions of my magazine springs, leave a litle room for play, and then cut the cutting board on my table saw with a plywood fine tooth blade to that thickness.
After cuting them to thickness, you are left with strips about sixteen inches long and the proper thickness.
Now all you have to do is determine the length you need for the magazine block to restrict it, or make it bottom out at 15 rounds.
Cut it to length, take a litle emory cloth and soften all edges and corners.
And in no time at all you have a non binding block, that is self lubricating, non moisture gathering, and cheap.

Hope this helps.......and for those using High capacity CURVED magazines....there is No reason why you couldn't put a curve to your pattern and cut it out with a bandsaw or a whatever you have in the shop.

Hope this helps.

I also put all my 20 and 30 rounders....on the carpet with each of the blocks prominently displayed on top of each magazine.
I then take a picture and secure it away.

This way if trouble ever comes my way and some overzealous DA or LEO...wants to brake my balls, after confiscation! By removing them secretively.
I have a picture dated and signed by witneses in a sealed envelope in my bank safety deposit box.
It will make for some interesting debate in a court of law if they ever try to mess with me.

Of course, the above is purely precautionary , since I am completely law abiding and do nothing to warant any law inforcement agency to investigate or pursue me.

Regards, WOLF

[This message has been edited by WOLF (edited March 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by WOLF (edited March 19, 2000).]

Vince,
Since I also live in NJ, and have studied the law, Wolf's recommendations are right on. I would also follow his advice about taking pictures to prove that the mags are blocked.

Even though using empty cases to temporarily block a mag is legal, I wouldn't do it. If a anti gun LEO or Prosecutor wanted to get you, all they would have to do is remove and dispose of a single case, and now you're mag is illegal.

I personally would travel out of state to buy the mags, and block them BEFORE coming back into Jersey. If you where to find a company willing to ship 20 rounders into Jersey, you could get busted the moment you took delivery, before you had the opportunity to block them.

Take care, be careful, and good luck,
David

Back