How difficult would it be to convert from a full sized gun...

ljhj45

to a compact .40? I am very comfortable with full sized 9mm and .45's, but the few times that I have rented a compact .40 were less than favorable. That is the reason I haven't given the .40 a second thought. Recently, things have happened that has caused me to rethink the .40.
What techniques or drills should I practice to become more proficient with the .40. I will possibly be choosing between a GLOCK 27 or Kahr P40.

Personally I would say that there is no one technique to learn differently. It is to just practice constantly! If you really put your time in at the range the results will show. After a couple of weeks of practice you should be able to control the firearm with no problem.

it also depends on format. If the full sized 9s and 45s that you are used to were both Glocks, then transitioning to a 27 might be easier. Getting used to the mechanics of the design always makes proficiency easier.

When I first started shooting, I purchased a 1911 5" as my first gun. It is my favorite, and I still own it today. My second was a Glock 23. I hated the .40 recoil, and quickly sold off the gun.

I have been shooting for a while now, and have only recently tried a Glock 23 again, and my impressions were much different. I found the .40 to be quite manageable, and it shot well for me. I attributed my change in perception of the weapon to my greater experience base of shooting handguns. Now I am even considering buying a Glock 23, to replace the one i sold long ago.

I am curious, what made you change your mind about the .40? I would be a little hesitant to force myself to shoot something I was uncomfortable with. The .40 has received rave reviews, and I like the gun. However, the .45 I carry will do the job just as well, with a platform that I am comfortable and familiar with.

I am looking for a smaller carry gun. Most .45's are still larger and heavier than a compact .40. I am also starting to believe that the .40 is a compromise between a 9mm and .45.

Back