How difficult to build 1911 from parts kit?

kjm

I was curious about the difficulty level of building a 1911 from a parts kit and a frame. I like little projects like this, but I have never built a firearm from the ground up, though I've rebuilt engines and done other mechanical type work. Is this something a normal person could do, or is it too complicated? Will I need special tools? Thank's in advance!

I am sure that the normal person can put one together if he has a good book or someone who is expeirenced to help him in some areas.I am definately not a gunsmith and I have never put one together from scratch but I have no doubt that I could do it because I believe I have changed out almost everything on a 1911 at one time or another.However if you are thinking about saving money I believe you would be better off to buy one out right.You will probably still get all of the tinkering you want if you start shooting it and espacially if you start competing with it because you will want to change out a few parts later after you see other peoples guns etc. If you are not careful you will wind up with enough parts to build another gun from scratch!Unfortunately you may be better off in the long run to just buy a top gun to start with like a Wilson Combat 45.I know because I have been down that road myself.

If it's a gen-you-wine Colt frame, it's easier than otherwise. I guess the main thing is patience on stoning some of the parts for proper fit, when that's needed. I've always been partial to finding the rustiest or most beatup clunker around town or at a gunshow, and rebuilding it. (I guess I've just never been much for looks--either me or my guns. :) )

All in all, I don't see it as particularly difficult. The problem, I guess, is in judging how close the frame matches an original Colt. You could always carry a slide, trigger and grip safety with you, and test.

FWIW, Art

Back