How did I do?

Yes. By the looks and the lack of a vent rib,it's an older gun. Check the bbl before touching off any 3 inch shells, most of the older guns are 2 3/4" only, a very minor drawback.

With the addition of a slug bbl, you have all the shotgun anyone would ever need, tho plenty of us WANT more(G)...

Yikes!

Looks like my first 870, bought when I was 17 in the late 60's. Good price and looks to be in good condition.

See how it shoots. (does look like a nice piece of wood)

Geoff Ross

Are there any parts that an older 870 might havee to have replaced? Will current attachments (mag extension, barrels, etc.) fit?

Parts?

Keep the old parts, they probably will work better than some of the new modifications.

One great thing about the older 870s, they have no dimples on the Mag tube:)

As Dave said, check to se if you have 2 3/4 or 3" chambers. Many of the older guns did not come with 3" chambers, and as I remember, the ones that did were marked as Magnum receivers.

Geoff Ross

No parts needed,TCW, they just do not wear out. ALL the 870s have totally interchangeable parts within gauge, up to the recent safety and dimples changes.

A suggestion, shoot it like it is for a while, get the stock and you in agreement,and then decide if it "needs" anything. A recoil pad,if there's not one on it, would be an exception.

And, start off with lighter loads. You may handle the barnburner loads fine, but the lighter kickers will let you concentrate more on form.

Enjoy,you've got a great new tool there...

Back