How clean is clean?

Mesa

I have a Howa .308 bolt action. I could clean the barrel on that thing for a week straight and STILL get copper on the patches that come outta there. How clean is clean?

Hope I don't step on George's toes here. It aint clean until the patches come out CLEAN. Sounds like you need to use a good copper solvent. A lot of barrels have microscopic crevices that are nearly impossible to clean without one of those e-lec-tronic copper removal gizmos. Rest assured that as long as copper remains in the barrel, corrosion is occuring underneath it.

I use Hoppes #9 and 30 cal patches.
How much does one of the electronic gizmos cost? Is it messy or a pain to use? Do you use it everytime you shoot?

Owen

Hoppe's #9 is very weak at getting heavy copper out of a barrel. Better solutions are Barnes CR-10, Sweets, Hoppes Benchrest, Shooters Choice Copper Remover, Butch's Bore Shine, water, kool-aid, almost anything other than #9.

The Foul Out II will run around $70 on sale. It's not too messy or hard to use. You only need it when you need it, if you know what I mean. If you clean regularly with the Cu solutions, you'll probably never need it.

Mal H,

I just received a sample of Barnes CR-10 and was wondering how it works... I haven't shot enough copper lately to merit trying it out. Hoppe's semi-auto works well on copper...

------------------
.45 Super... Fat and FAST...

"No provision in our Constitution ought to be dearer to man than that which protects the rights of conscience against the enterprises of the civil authority" - Thomas Jefferson

IMX, it's a toss up between Barnes and Sweets. They both work very well. I haven't tried Butch's yet. But I have read some good reports on it (Lilja recommends it), so it may be the winner.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited February 23, 2000).]

I bought a Hawkeye bore scope about a year ago. What a scary sight. Used it on a .243 I’ve had since mid 70’s. Had only been cleaned with Hoppes and Shooters Choice. Bore looked gold plated. Tried Foul Out II for 3 days, changing solution and brushing twice a day. Still had light yellow lands even though Foul Out had been showing clean for last day. Pushed 1 patch of Shooter’s Choice Copper Remover down bore, waited 5 minutes, then patched with denatured alcohol and reg. Shooters Choice. All traces of copper fouling were gone. Many do not recommend using anything with ammonia and Shooters Choice Copper Remover sure smelled like ammonia.

Back