How can you verify that a firearm is C&R?

saands

I have seen several firearms come onto the C&R market that are less than 50 years old and I was wondering how a person can get a quick (so as not to miss the opportunity to purchase) verification that it is actually C&R ... Several SKS models and I think that the Yugoslav M57 is also an example of this ... not all of them are 50 years old, but there was a determination somewhere that they qualified. I was hoping that someone has a working phone number at the BATFE that could give the updated status. Their online lists only get updated every year or two.

TIA,

Saands

Yeah ... I called BATFE and they said that I have to contact the Technology branch, but that they don't have phone numbers ... the very nice guy at the NFA branch told me that even they don't get to call the guys at the stealthyTechnology branch ... only snail mail letters :(

Saands

The burden is on the seller; if he identifies it as a C&R, you have no problem. Even if he is wrong, so what? You can't sell it as a C&R but you have done nothing wrong.

That same business, with antiques, has been going on for years; often the date of manufacture is unknown, one of the many reasons Congress was even less bright than usual in setting down a fixed date.

Jim

Back