How can I take apart the extractor in my Para?

Ruben Nasser

Help!! (...before I do something stupid!) I've dissasembling my new Para P14-45, and after taking apart the firing pin I can't take apart the extractor as in a pre-80's Colt. Apparently it is restricted by the plunger of the passive firing pin safety, how can I take it apart? Thanks!!

Ruben, on the underside of the slide you will see the bottom of the plunger. If it's sticking out like it should be you should be able to grab it with a pair of needlenose plier and pull it out. If it's not, try pushing it in quickly to "bounce" it out to where you can get hold of it. It sounds like it's non functional unless perhaps you've already tried to pry the extractor out. If that is the case you need to reseat the extractor so that it doesn't interfere with the plunger. George

Push the extractor back flush with the slide. Make sure the plunger moves. Pry the extractor out a little (1/16" or less) the plunger will free-up and can be removed from the slide. The extractor will now come out.

I've got the P14.45 Limited also.

Thanks George and TVDean!! For some reason the plunger was reluctant to drop free (it had all the play and bounce it's suppoused to have), so I had to help it a little with small pliers. I had imagined some misterious locking device!! Being sometimes aflicted of the "dissasembly fever" maybe I should get a couple of Kunhausenn books instead of always learning the hard way!! Any recommendations on other good books for dissasembly/assembly procedures?

Ruben, I can't think of a better one than Kuhnhausen's. Vol 1 might be more what you need than Vol 2. But both are nice to have. George

Back