How brutal is firing a S&W 329 PD?

Darker Loaf

Some of you may know me and my neurosis well enough to know that I am undergoing a once internal, now public caliber debate. Caliber debates are perhaps the lowest form of dialogue (and argument) on the Firing Line or any internet forum.

But, I meant it when I asked the question: Is it worth it for me to buy any non-9mm handgun?

And I've seen the following reasons for me personally to own a non-9mm handgun:

1) Hunting
2) Bear-defense/backpacking self-defense (including people)

Normally, this would make it into the revolver forum, but I think that two guns are worth considering along side the S&W 329 as backpacking guns:

The Glock 43 in 9mm (for people-mostly-only as a light-weight defensive backpacking gun) and the Glock 20/40 (better as the 40 for hunting) for #1 and #2. The reason the G20/40 is on the list is because they are similar in weight as the S&W 329 PD with the 329 coming in at 25.1 oz and the 10mm Glocks around 28 oz.

So, would the S&W 329 PD supplant a Glock 20/40 for hunting and self-defense on the trail, and is a S&W 329 PD shootable? Or said another way: Would I hate a 329 if I bought it and just sell it? If I were just trying to find a hunting gun, I'd get a heavy .44 magnum instead, but the appeal of the 329 is the low weight. I have owned 10mm's and shot them enough to know that the recoil isn't bad. I've also fired 4" all-steel .44's enough to know that I wouldn't totally hate that.

I think one point to decide on is where you ammo would come from? Would it come from a store or from your reloading bench? If it is the latter, then arguably the S&W can be as mild or monsterous as you'd like. In the case of the former, the choice is more limited but still there. You also have the option of .44Spl

From what I've read, .44Mag, loaded hot will out perform 10mm, but will that level be too much for you, only you can tell.

Likely, the .44 ammo would come from a big-box store 90% of the time. But, I'd save the brass and probably get into handloading.

I guess I am asking what do you think of .44 out of a light gun? Is that always a bad idea? I have only really limited experience with .44. I've fired like 3-5 shots. I know 10mm out of a Glock or a steel frame pistol is fine by me, but I'm pretty sure I was firing lightly loaded 10mm.

I have a lot of experience with .357 and .38 spl.

I own and shoot a .44 spec S&W Mountain Lite, a lovely shooter that hurts to shoot. A revolver with a better grip and 7.5 oz. heavier might help, but I wouldn't want to shoot a 250gr. Keith bullet over 21 gr of 2400 very often.

salvadore, Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback. That was my suspicion with a lightweight .44 mag. It sounds unpleasant.

Ah! I just looked up the Mountain Lite. That's only 18 oz! That's pretty amazing. So, that's a good question. Would those 7 ozs and better grips make shooting hot .44 tolerable?

Most of the time, I'd be shooting lighter .44 mag, knowing my budget, but would I hate shooting hot .44?

I've got a stainless Ruger Super Redhawk with an 8 inch barrel. I don't know what it weighs but, it is a heavy pistol. Loaded with full bore H110 or 2400 loads pushing 240 gn Gold Dot Hollow points, it is doable to shoot accurate. Fun? For the first 30 or so. Than it gets to be work as the hands and arms start to get rung. It is the only handgun I own that will make me feel fatigue in my arms and hands after shooting it a bit. I have a lot of gun taming those loads. However, if it were much lighter, it wouldn't get shot very much. Trying to shoot a full bore mag load out of a light 44 Mag isn't going to be fun. Do-able? Yes. Fun? No. Accurate? Not likely. Bottom line is you will end up shooting it very little.

If you want a defense gun while in the woods, get a longer barrel 44 Mag, an adequate holster, and load them hot. You'll have the gun needed to protect you and kill what you shoot. But, more importantly, you'll shoot it enough to do well at all intended tasks you ask of it. Go light and you'll pass the gun on shot very little. Or sell it beforehand. A full bore 44 Mag is a Big hand full. In the correct gun, it is no problem. In the wrong gun, it is painful. God Bless

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=562588&highlight=69

You might want to look at a 69. One less round but the grips make shooting full house mags not that bad.
It was actually much less painful than a 3 inch 629.
You will never get the energy out of the Glock you can with a 629.
And the 69 is only 32 oz.:rolleyes:
Back in the 90's I had one of the stubby titanium cylinder 5 shot 44 Specials that S&W built,, don't remember the model. Factory specials were fierce.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

Ah! I just looked up the Mountain Lite. That's only 18 oz! That's pretty amazing. So, that's a good question. Would those 7 ozs and better grips make shooting hot .44 tolerable?

Most of the time, I'd be shooting lighter .44 mag, knowing my budget, but would I hate shooting hot .44?

Looking at Salvadore's post, it looks like that gun is a .44Spl, so Mags are a no-no in any case from that gun.

The thing is I really do believe that you'd miss 60% of the .44Mag's potential if you just stuck to factory ammo. I haven't done so yet as I'm still in the "how hot can I go" phase, but I am sure I can load mags down to Spl levels with a mid charge of a faster powder and lightish bullet.

As much as I'd love to see you buy that fine chambering, I feel duty-bound to warn you that handloading, being the best way forward, is a bit of an expense to get into and may not save you money in the long run, but does open so many doors as far as what you can get from your shooting. If you are happy with that, then handloading is really the best way to go with .44...

it hurts.

another thing to consider is crimp.

the snappy recoil tends to make the remaining rounds back out (get longer). so if you don't have a good crimp, it's possible that the gun won't rotate to the 5th or 6th round, as they could get longer than the cylinder.

not a gun for range use, definitely an emergency only gun.

go ahead, shoot 6, understand what you have in your hand, and then either put it back in the vault, or carry it into the woods and hope it stays in your holster all day.

Long ago (1988 or 1989 when I got my first Glock 20) I decided that I wouldn’t “carry” a Glock with a round in the chamber. I won’t carry a gun that isn’t loaded and ready to go. Therefore, I won’t carry a Glock. JUST MY PERSONAL COMFORT LEVEL other opinions vary and rightly so.

With that said, I carry 24/7 and have considerable experience with all of the above listed guns (except Glock 9mm). Have shot 8 or 9 thousand rounds of 240/260gr at 1,100 – 1,300 fps from the three different 329s. Factory Rem 240gr chrono 1,250 fps from the 4” 329. In my opinion, full house .44 Mags are not much fun from the 329 (neither is any 240gr+ at 1,100 fps +). Even full power 10mm auto (Buff Bore, Double Tap, CorBon, Underwood, etc.) in the Glock 20 will be much more shooter friendly than full power .44s from the 329.

Some other issues to be considered regarding the S&W M329:

You need to test your chosen ammo to make sure that it doesn't exhibit "crimp jump" which can be a problem in the 329.

You need to shoot the gun enough to ensure that you don't have ignition problems. Some of the early guns' firing pins were too short and effected ignition.

You also need to be aware that there have been reports of the Ti/Sc big bore revolvers suffering unintended lock engagement.

I’m retired, live in Montana and am out in the woods pretty much every day all year long. I carried the 329 for 7 or 8 yrs (too lazy to look it up) in my daily outings and when bow hunting elk in bear (both black and grizzly) country. Still carry the 329 when bow hunting elk, but have gone to M69 (L-Frame .44 Mag) when bears are active and for general recreational use. Also carry a Kahr CW45 (w/255gr Buff Bore) as a backup and when bears are hibernating. Both are much easier to shoot well vs. the 329.

FWIW, my son (who hunts much more than I do) got spooked by a bunch of wolves hiking out in the dark while bow hunting elk last year and has gone to the Glock 20.

If you decide on the 329, you need to seriously consider equipping it with the Hogue 500 grips from S&W.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...58003_757843_757837_ProductDisplayErrorView_N

Paul

I am a revolver shooter and love recoil. If your a 9 mm shooter you do not want a 329. I have several 44 mags, a 454, a 460 and a 500 handguns. with wooden grips the 329 will hurt your hand. With rubber grips it just jumps a lot, but if you don`t have a good hold on it it may go flying or hit you in the head. I carry a 329 for ccw and love it, but most people think the recoil is to much even with 44 spec. loads. Get a 626, the recoil is a lot less.

Yes, 9mm in a semi auto to 44 mag in a revolver is a jump - not that you can't do it. The recoil out of revolvers has the potential to feel like a jolt.

As far as revolvers go, along the lines you are thinking:

I've spent some time with a Taurus 444 (28 oz 44 mag), and I own a M&P340 (scandium 357 snub 12-13 ounces).

On the 9mm side I suppose my smallest would be a Kahr CM9.

The Taurus already had thick rubber grips that covered the backstrap. With middle-of-the-road reloads it was mildly unpleasant although it didn't necessarily sting immediately or cause dysfunction. But you felt the aluminum frame underneath kick/jolt your palm pretty well through the cushion. Full power was not fun, I started to feel fatigue in my hand and wrists. The gun was for backpacking in Alaska (friend went, didn't need to use it) and it served its purpose. He sold it afterwards. I would say an analogy would be like going from an AR-15 or AK/SKS to a bolt action 308 in terms of recoil.

I have had the 329, 629's, 29's and now the 69. The 69 is a keeper. I never found the recoil objectionable with the 329 (with proper grips) but the bullets liked to jump crimp. Too many people buy 44 mags and put pretty wood grips on them and then complain about the recoil.

The 10mm is more the equivalent to the 357 mag than the 44 mag.

Back