How big is the SP101?

pwd

Fellas,

I'm contemplating replacing my Taurus Total Titanium 85 (2" snub .38) with a Ruger SP101 5 shot .357. My question is, is the Ruger significantly bigger and, therefore, harder to conceal in a pocket? Thanks for any input.

Problem is not necessarily the size rather than weight. The Ruger KSP-821X is 25 ounces, enough to put a hole in anyone's pocket. Taurus model 85T is 15.4 ounces and the 85UL and Police model 85 are 13.7 ounces. The Taurus models are far more concealable.

Robert

I agree if CCW is what the gun will be used for, the Total Titanium Taurus is far more suited due to its much lighter weight and its overall dimensions. The SP101 is considerably larger and heavier than the Taurus.

If you are going to go with an all steel snubbie my advise is to use a pocket holster. It does two things:1. hides the outline of the gun and 2.distributes its weight more eavenly. I carry a Smith 640 that weighs about the same as a Ruger and find it easy to carry.

The Ruger is a great gun in my opinion.

I was just comparing my Model 60 S&W with my SP-101 earlier today. You hit the nail on the head. The SP-101 is slightly bigger, but way heavier.

Yeah, but...

You can run .357s through the SP101 all day and it will not break. If you want a .38, stick with the Taurus 85. If you want a .357, grab the Ruger and a good IWB holster.

Back