How Bad Is Dry Firing A BP Pistol

unfortunately, yes it will. It will peen the nipples and cause misfires when you are firing live loads or it will cause the pistol to not fire at all. Probably will not damage the gun itself, but it will ruin the nipples.

Do you think that the damage would be limited to the nipples? I'm thinking that maybe I could order a second set of nipples just for "dry fire excercises" if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

Lance

I think the damage would most likely be limited to the nipples, but thats only my educated guess. Remington Kid, Old Dragoon, or Steve499 could tell you for sure. They are the real experts on here. All are great guys and I've learned a great deal from them.

It tears up the hammer too if it isn't sufficiently hardened. But mainly it mashes the nipples and that is a no no.
You might be able to snap a cylinder full of caps then pinch them so they stay on and dry fire that way.
Now hers a thought RUBBER NIPPLES...now where is my Invention copyright papers. LOL
I like my Kisrtst Konverter because you can dry fire it...until the spring breaks and then send it in to be repaired. Or I could buy 44 Colt snap caps too.

It depends on whether or not the hammer nose hits the nipples.
On the Ruger Old Army, the hammer nose does not hit the nipples. And Ruger states in their manual that dry-firing the Old Army will not damage it. They even recommend dry-firing to familiarize oneself with the firearm.
More primitive designs may differ...

Explore this option

I used to have a couple of cap'n'ball .36 revolvers. Overcome with the desire to dry fire the first, I checked the scraps from a couple of holster building projects. I believe it was 5/6 ounce leather that proved to be of the right thickness. I cut a strip about one inch long and just wide enough to fit into the hammer channel in the back of the flash shield. This allowed me to dry fire without the hammer face hitting the nipples.

Be sure to remove the leather strip before loading up to fire it. :p

Best,
Johnny

Back