How bad are Uncle Mike's holsters?

Rickmeister

I haven't heard too many things about them, except that most advice given here is to go for something else.

So what is wrong with them? Do they chew up your pants? Do they cause a rash? Do they sing Dixie in the north and Give Us A Flag in the south?

Dixie??? How horrible. The soundtrack to treason.

Which Uncle Mikes are you talking about? Avoid the nylon kind that collaspe when the pistol is drawn. The problem arises when guys try to reholster and use the muzzle of the pistol to open the holster or the opposite hand. I try to avoid extra holes in my body (I have too many in my head as it is).

Write Milt Sparks and get a catalogue. Can't go wrong. Remember to get a belt from the same company where you order the holster.

The Uncle Mike's Kydex is not bad. A cheap way to get set for IPSC or IDPA. The screw-on belt loop makes it protrude, though. Not good for true concealment, fine for a fast draw.

Depends. Are we talking about concealment, gun games, or LEO duty gear? The first two are unknowns to me, but in the last area I have a little bit of experience. Their duty gear is horrible. It looks cheap, feels cheap, wears out quickly and their 'retention holsters' are very easy to break.

Mike

What type of holster are you looking for?

I've used one of their field belt holsters (I guess that is what you would call it) for years without a problem. It's not a concealment or gaming holster, but for strapping on my 6" 686-1 to walk up in the farm behind my home & shoot a box of shells it works fine. I also use it for my old blue Single Six.

I also use one of their Pocket Holsters for my Colt Mustang PocketLite. It serves the purpose - keeps the gun from flopping all over & helps to prevent the pocket from tearing.

I haven't tried any of their concealment holsters; but I have tried other brands of nylon shoulder rigs & IWB holsters & have never been satisfied.

They make one great holster in thier line...it isn't nylon, leather or kydex...it's a soft almost neoprene material they use on the IWB clip holster. I have their model 36 for my 442 and it is the slimmest, lightest, best thing around around for this gun...and the clip holds well.....I have leather delfattis for my P7 but a small gun doesn't need to much leather....at around 7 bucks on line...it's a great deal....

I use their IWB for my SMC .380 (thank the Gods the local gun show is tomorrow!), I won't be getting rid of it however. it's done me well for the last 4 monthes.. never had a problem with it..

but I can see the stress lines getting stronger, but for $6.00 I sure ain't gonna complain..

I also have a couple of there others for my Blackhawk for yomping around the woods, never have to worry about them getting scratched or stained.. they haven't let me down yet either.

I have an Uncle Mike's shoulder rig. For the money, the nylon holster it isn't all that bad. It doesn't seem to collapse. Reholstering is easy EXCEPT I have trouble snapping the thumb break back together. (Nothing wrong with holster - just usually takes two hands and a bit of fumbling to do.)

Otherwise, it seems fine for the price although I may eventually look to a more expensive shoulder rig for a little more comfort. -Not that it is uncomfortable... but an expensive rig might be a little less tiring - not sure.

The GOOD thing is... I have a few different types of holsters from Uncle Mike. I didn't spend a lot of money on them but NOW I know which types of holsters I will wear. (Thought I wanted a paddle holster but turns out that I don't like it... shoulder holster is preferred method of carry now.) I would have been upset if I had spent $250 on a NICE shoulder rig only to discover I didn't REALLY like that method of carry.

- FWIW

Logistar

As previously mentioned, it depends on the rig. I agree that the duty stuff doesn't last that long, the construction is not that strong. Bianchi Accumold IMO is the better option. The kydex stuff isn't too bad, it holds the weapon good and feels pretty secure.
They serve their purpose, which is to hold the gun. My first choice is Accumold, though, based on construction, ease of reholstering, and appearance.

Back