How are dovetails measured?

Jhp147

Can anyone tell me how dovetails, like the type used to hold a rear sight of a handgun,are sized? By sized, I mean, is there a common size or standard size, or does each company sort of make up its own size to fit the weapons within one slide size range? I would sort of assume this since so many different types of rear sights are listed by weapon brand in the sight maker's lists. Does one brand of gun tend to have the same size/angle? There is no "usual and customary" or standard size, say, that of a 1911?

JHP, dovetails are measured by their width at the bottom and the angle of the cut. For example 60 x .359" is considered standard in the industry but about the only standard is that standard dovetail cutters from your local machinists supply store won't work. Dovetails will usually vary from manufacturer to manufacturer unless they are making a clone pistol. For instance all 1911 pistols with original style fixed sights will have a dovetail of 65 x 330". Novak and MMC sights use a 65 x .495". EAA, Millet and Bo-Mar are 60 x .359". About all you can do is to be sure what is used on your firear is to contact the manufacturer and ask. George

Back