How accurate and practical is the Ruger Single-Six in .22 Mag?

AEM

Sometimes I think I want to buy a Single-Six convertible in .22/.22 Mag. as a woods gun for plinking and small game. I had an Old Model convertible as a kid, but found the reloading too slow for my young tastes.
Now I think it might be a good field gun, particularly in stainless and with a short barrel.

What kind of accuracy can I expect with both the .22 LR and the Magnum cylinders? Is the .22 Magnum a practical small game round in a handgun, or is it too destructive? Or not a relible stopper? How bad is the trigger pull on a Single Six, say compared to a S&W K22?

For the weight of a Single-six, I could carry a .38 which would anchor small critters more reliably. I'm talking myself out of it again!

What do you think?:confused:

The Ruger single-six is very practical. You get a 22LR cylinder for cheap plinking and a 22WMR cylinder for getting down to business. Your accuracy should be similar to than of any light recoiling single action Ruger (excellent). People here debate wether you benefit from the intended velocity of a 22WMR out of a pistol. I think it's worth it. The 38 might be a better field gun in some aspects, but if you plan on being on foot, you can carry a lot more ammo in 22WMR.

My Single-Six has a pretty good trigger but not as good as the THE KING - the K22.

I can recommend the single-six as a well made gun. Accuracy is pretty good, should be fine for hunting/plinking.

I have an OM Super Single Six convertible with 5.5" bbl bought in '69. The trigger is really pretty good, especially after I clipped a coil or two from the mainspring. Not sure about the NM Single Six triggers as I've never fired one. Accuracy with the 22lr cylinder is nothing to write home about, but the 22WMR cylinder produces excellent accuracy. Good enough to nail sitting blackbirds at 40-50 yards when I do my part.

You'll never pick up a factory stock Single Six with a trigger that equals a K22.

Sounds like you need a 22 AND a 38 to me. :D

I don't think you can go wrong with the Single Six. I have a 5 1/2" Super Single Six and really like it. It shoots both 22 lr and 22 Mag fairly well. I use it for a field gun when I'm out in the woods and use it for plinking. It is a well made gun.

Ok, so they're not ALL convertables? I inherited an old model single six, and it just says ".22 cal". No "LR" or anything. The cylinder is certainly long enough for the WRM, but I've never tried to shove one in.

fastforty-----They come with 2 cylinders-----the .22 mag one is clearly marked. Maybe one of them was lost unfortunately???

At least on the new models------not too sure on what was offered with the old models.

fastforty-
keep in mind, the 22WMR casing is a little larger in diameter than the 22LR casing. If you can get a 22WMR to fit in, you should be able to safely fire it. When you load 22LR in that cylinder, are they loose at all?

The original Single Six was .22lr. The Convertible model was introduced in 1960. For a few years a .22mag-only model was made and also a Lightweight model. They also made a Super Single Six Convertible w/ adj. sights. It all ended around 1972-1973 with the introduction of the New Model.

I bought a new Single Six Convertible in 1972 and it shoots magnums a little more accurately, but not enough to justify the expense. Only the mag. cylinder is recessed and lightly marked with the last three digits of the serial number.

My father has two S&W Model 17s now - a 4" w/full lug and an 8-3/8" w/a 2x scope. Yes, they have slick triggers and are great. They're also a chunky handful compared to the Ruger.

I like 'em all.

John

AEM
My .22 Ruger convertible is an old three screw one. I have a 3x scope mounted on it, and a leather sling that goes around my neck. This is a premier grey squirrel gun, and I have taken them at 75 yards. This particular gun shoots better with magnums than with LR.

Back