hottest safe load for NAA .22LR

MadScientist

Just bought one of these and it is a hoot to shoot!
(I once told my wife that I needed to buy guns as penis extensions and when I showed her this she said, "that is definitely NOT an extentsion of your penis")

Anyway, I've only shot standard velocity rounds through it, with good accuracy out to 10ft so far (all shots in a 8in circle).
I'm curious though, for defensive purposes (I believe that a .22LR still does the trick in the right circumstances) I'd like to use something like CCI Stingers.
Anyone else use these? I'm worried about damaging my little gun.

Any .22 LR ammo should be just fine for the gun.

Use the load that is most accurate and still controlable in you tiny little gun. Considering how much grip you have to work with, the Hyper-Velocity loads will probably cause you gun to point at the sky after each shot. This does not help with quick follow up shots.

Use the load that is most comfortable to you, and/or the most accurate in your pistol and don't worry.

Doc Hudson

BTW, my favorite Hyper-Velocity .22 LR loading is the Remington Yellow Jacket. LMH

I carry a NAA Mini in .22 Magnum daily. Considering that the NAA Mini in .22 Magnum is only marginally larger but by far exceeds the pressure levels of your .22LR, I would say you should be good-to-go with any available .22LR ammo. I don't see a problem here.

The only thing I didn't like about the .22LR version of the NAA Mini is the smaller grip frame. The .22WMR version provides more to grasp, especially when drawing and cocking under pressure of the moment.

In any case I recommend you get a pocket holster from NAA. With minor modifications to this holster, the Mini can be drawn very quickly from the pocket. This mode of carry is great or business or church carry. Certainly better to have a NAA Mini in pocket than a .45 Combat Commander at home in the gun vault. Never know when or where you may need it.

CCI Stingers work quite well in both .22 Long Rifle and .22 Magnum. I have NAA revolvers in both calibers, and have never had a problem with either.

I would look hard at the Aguila 22 SSS 60 gr load. Expansion is going to be spotty with hollowpoints out of such a short barrel, and at least you know that long 60 grn bullet is going to tumble as it penetrates. Other than that i would go with any of the hyper-velocity solids and hope for the best.

Remember .22 and .25s 'can' be very effective, but they have to be placed precisely or used at actual contact distances (where the expanding gasses inhance the wounding) to be very effective.

I have thought about buying an NAA in 22 mag and trying the new Gold Dot and TNT loads in it, and i am very curious how the Aguila 75 grain Goliath loads would do. Anybody actually shot any of these out of one yet?

Yeah, I tried the CCI stingers this morning. Even though a few people thought that the gun would end up pointing straight up after each shot, this didn't happen.

I might try to get the short and magnum guns at some point to have the whole set.

On the topic of aiming, I'm curious to hear about your method. I find that I get the best accuracy by lowering the muzzle just until I can't see any of the barrel length and then placing the tip of front site where I want to hit. Taking my time, I can get 8in groups from 10yrds now. Faster fire about doubles that.

With the one that i used to have i would line up the tip of the front sight with the tip of the firing pin. This would produce 2-3 inch groups very close to point of aim at 15-20 feet. I never shot it at further distances than that.

I played with a customer's Black Widow 22 mag with the 2.5 inch barrel. The big fixed sights made it a very easy gun to shoot, and we could easily put a cylinderful into the eye socket of a photo realisitic target at 10 feet as fast as we could cock and fire it.

If i get another 22mag i am going to probably just file the front sight off and drill and tap and install a meprolight tritium shotgun bead or better yet and Ashley Express Standard Dot Tritium front. Either one if installed and adjusted corredtly should let me make heasdshots to 10- 15 feet with a little practice.

Alright I'll fess up and say that I have no experience with NAA minis. But I can tell you that a fine .22LR defensive load is the Triton Quik Shok, its a three piece fragmenting bullet. Check it out!

not having any experience with this type of gun... but I'd recommend trying winchester super X PowerPoint... it's the only .22lr I buy anymore

Back